3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2014 11:32 AM by Frank Phelps

surface

Frank Phelps

Hello all,

I have a two part question.  First I am looking for the classes of surfaces and what makes them different from each other.  Pretty much a broad definition of each surface class and there uses.  The other question is that I am having trouble understanding what is the difference between a surface model and a solid model.  The main problem I think in understanding this concept is the creation process for both and what I can and cant do when creating.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Charlie

• Re: surface
          Mark Kaiser

Surface models are composed of faces (surfaces) that have no thickness associated with them.  Solid models have faces with a wall thickness.  A solid model is a block of material, where a surface model is a set of faces only.

I don't know if there are classes of surfaces, but there are classes of curvature of a surface, where it meets another surface.

Deepak Gupta

I would recommend you this book to clear most of your doubts on surfacing: SolidWorks Surfacing and Complex Shape Modeling Bible - Matt Lombard

Frank Phelps

Thanks Deepak I will check out this reference material.  Thanks for the reply mark.  I realize how they are constructed and the differences.  I am more curious on how to easliy understand what things can be made but extrudes and revolves( manufacturing) and what can be and has to be made with other techniques(molds).  Or how to see and classify each of them.  From what I understand the classes of surfaces are dependent on their accuracy.  I know aerospace and auto manufacturing use class A surfaces.  THanks for the feedback guys.