26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2009 7:33 AM by 1-5CV2FZ

Converting to DXF

James Cronin
      I need to convert a simple part that I'm working on to DXF formatfor a machinist to wire EDM and I was wondering if there is asimple way to do this from my SolidWorks part?  I've been toldthat I can use AutoCAD 3D to recreate the part but AutoCAD 3D isnot very easy to use.

Please let me know if you have any ideas.  Thanks.
        • Converting to DXF
          Rodney Hall
          Create or use an existing (.slddrw) with a view that will represent the EDM profile.
          Then "Save As" (.dxf) of the (.slddrw) will give you a file you can send for EDM to use. (this gives EDM a 2-D profile to program by).

Another method could be if your EDM source can accept 3-D files like (.iges, .step or others) then you could give them a 3-D file to use. Then you just open your (.sldprt) and "Save As" (.iges), (.Step), Etc...
            • Converting to DXF
              Josh Hershberger

Rodney Hall wrote:

Create or use an existing (.slddrw) with a view that will represent the EDM profile.

Then "Save As" (.dxf) of the (.slddrw) will give you a file you can send for EDM to use. (this gives EDM a 2-D profile to program by).

Another method could be if your EDM source can accept 3-D files like (.iges, .step or others) then you could give them a 3-D file to use. Then you just open your (.sldprt) and "Save As" (.iges), (.Step), Etc...

My computer/SolidWorks 2008 is not allowing me to save a 2D as a .dxf. I have tried several different files and have gotten the same results. Does anyone know the fix for this? I have attached a .jpg (screenshot) showing the error that I get. Another interesting thing to note is that mine is the only one out of three computers in our office that generates this error.
            • Converting to DXF
              Anna Wood
              What software is the EDM operator using to create his cutter paths? Many of the packages can read the 3D solid model, either as a translated STEP or IGES file or even the SolidWorks model directly.

We use Esprit by DP Technology. The latest version reads the SolidWorks model directly. Esprit can read the configurations in the SolidWorks files. So we have a milling configuration and a final configuration. The milling guys know what to mill and the wire guys can bring both configurations into Esprit and overlay them to know where the wire starts are and the final wire geometry.

Here is an example file in SolidWorks 2007:
              http://visualvault.auerprecisi...000-9ffb-bdc36e2b4c7f

We upgraded our software package so we could read the SolidWorks model directly. We save a lot of time and mistakes by not creating a special file for wire or cnc milling. We have worked to eliminate creating any extra dxf files for manufacturing.

If you need to create a dxf, you need to do as Rodney says and create a drawing file then do a Save As to a dxf.

Regards,

• Converting to DXF
                  James Cronin
                  Thanks Rodney and Anna.  I thought the machinist wanted a 3DDXF file (which may be an impossibility) but after I understoodwhat you two were saying and talked to the machinist again Irealized that he was looking for a bunch of 2D files.  I wishhe had a program that could read SolidWorks models directly but itlooks like this is the only way his works.  Thanks so much forthe help!

James Cronin
                    • Converting to DXF
                      Martin Cox
                      I too need to produce simple 2D DXF profiles.
                      To speed up the process, I set up a plain drawing template with no sheet format entities, a 1 : 1 scale, and drawing sheet size the maximum dimensions that our CNC Router can cut.
                      Automatically scale new drawing views is unticked in my system options.
                      Then when saving as a DXF ensure that 1 : 1 scale is enabled in the DXF save as options.
                        • Converting to DXF
                          Ryan Simmons
                          We recently purchased a new CNC machine for nesting cabinet parts. I need to export a DXF from SW with different entities onspecified layers.  For instance, the panel layer for a.75" panel needs to be "BORDER_Z0P75" and 8mmdrillings at 0.563" deep would be "VBORE_Z0P563". I don't follow the layer mapping instructions in SW help.

What I want to do is ultimately set up a parametric cabinet endpart template that will logically suppress orunsuppress certain entities base on the panel size.  Movethat altered part to a SW Drawing and save to DXF with all thelayers assigned.  Please give me some guidance on how toachieve this as seamlessly as possible.
                            • Converting to DXF
                              Richard Montminy
                              I need to do the same thing, but the origin of the part file needsto be the origin of the dxf.

Currently, if I insert a view into a blank drawing and 'saveas,dxf' the resulting dxf file has it's origin at the sheet 0,0datum.  To the machinist,  geometry of the part is 'outin space' in relation to the datum.

Is it possible to control the position of a view such that theorigin (of the part) coincides with the 0,0 datum of the sheet. Then, saving as a dxf should do what I want.
                      • Converting to DXF
                        Chad Hawkenson
                        I am aN AutoCad man from many years back and have convinced my employer to upgrade to 2008 S.W. What a great tool it is. In response to your inquiry about exporting to .dxf or .dwg I too cant find any good answer. The sheet metal export works fine, but not all parts drawn are sheet metal parts. A company called Sycode has seem to come up with an export addin for S.W. but it doesnt not seem to work with 2008 S.W. I have another option that may help. I have a plugin, addin, autolisp to my AutoCad ver. 2000 called Xchangeworks. It allows the end user in AutoCad to open a variety of file types including .sldprt files. So, as it is right now, we may not be able to export to .dwg or .dxf but an autocad user can open our files (which are fully functional to them) and work with those parts. I hope this is of some assistance.

http://www.cadgraphicswest.com/html/xchangeworks.html
                        • Converting to DXF
                          Ben Heath
                          Is it possible to create a 3D dxf files with Solidworks???
                          • Converting to DXF
                            Ben Heath
                            I was under that impression as well. However, I have been asked by MANY clients to supply a 3D dxf file. I called my reseller for support and they said it is possible. I just wanted to know how!