5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2016 7:50 AM by

My SolidWorks and Professional subscriptions

Kevin Quigley

I Used to use SolidWorks forums regularly but recent changes to the interface and the introduction of MySolidWorks forum have left me cold, to the extent that the confusing interface and forum access via MySolidWorks has left me feeling "life is too short to bother with this rubbish".

today I see SolidWorks are introducing a MySolidWorks Subscription Professional. Now we currently have two active SolidWorks subscriptions (one for SW Standard, one for SW Professional) for which we pay over £2 k a year. So someone please explain what this new professional subscription is and why I need to request a quote to access it? From what I can see so far it offers access to online tutorials such as using helix features, which, frankly, don't cut it for a professional level of tutorial at extra cost.

so, lets cut the crap and be open here. How much is it? Why should a subscription paying customer pay more? What is actually available? Because currently the offer is as clear as mud.

• Re: My SolidWorks and Professional subscriptions
          Dan Wiggins

Kevin:  I can't speak for the costs, but here is a breakdown of the my.solidworks.com levels.

unnamed.jpg

Jeff Mirisola

From the looks of the chart, there's really no benefits aside from the training aspect. I find this odd as that's where VAR's make most of their money and now SolidWorks appears to be undermining that ability. I've always felt that online training is better anyway as you tend to get more for your money. VAR training is way overpriced, IMO.

When all is said and done, it would appear that MySolidWorks is just a portal to all the places you already have access to, with some storage and training thrown in.

Maybe I'm missing something. If so, sure would be nice if someone from SolidWorks would chime in.

Brad Lovin

Kevin,

It looks like just another way to fleece SW users, I see little on this list which shouldn't already be covered with my current subscription service.

"Stay connected to my Reseller" I thought that is what I was paying for already.

"Access the Knowledge base, SPRs (bugs), online help, advanced forums"

isn't it enough that we have to beta test your software for you, and suffer through buggy releases of "new" versions of the software until 2 or 3 service packs?

"access to the SW support page" ARE YOU SERIOUS?  I ALREADY PAY FOR THIS!

WHEN I STARTED USING SW BACK IN 1997, ONE OF THE BEST THINGS ABOUT SW WAS THE FACT THAT YOU WERE LISTENING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS, AND PROVIDING SOLUTIONS TO THE SHORTCOMINGS OF THE PRODUCT.

(UNLIKE THE 800 GORILLA OF THE DAY AUTODESK)

17 years later it looks like we have a new 800 pound gorilla.... sad.

Brad Lovin

CSWP 1998

Kevin Quigley

AS you say Jeff, the noise from SolidWorks is...deafening.

looking at that matrix I see two things. I see bugger all reason to pay extra over and above subs costs. I can log onto YouTube and view thousands of hours of training. Many VARs have very comprehensive training/update content available online for free or behind their paywall (which is open to paying subs users). I have no idea what SW are up to here.

but the other thing I see is a condescending approach to paying subs users with the implication that you are not doing your best for your company if you choose not to spend the extra. Frankly, whoever wrote that needs to go back to marketing 101 class.

if SolidWorks plans to bypass VARs then do it properly. Offer a reduced cost subs package that covers upgrades and forum access only. What we don't need is an extra price offering that provides mediocre online training that, frankly, we used to call " two pages ahead in the user manual training". if you want to pay for training for online content then go straight to the experts like CadJunkie or Javelin. 

I'm late to the game here but I agree , clear as mud ,, a professional license gets you a standard account , not professional , seems like false advertising