9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 1:09 PM by Brent Lewis

How do you display multiple variables in a report

Cory Engdahl

I am attempting to write a SQL query to generate a report pertaining to a form we circulate with workflow.

The form is an Excel document and has many variables liked to it an ideal report header would look something like this:

File Name   Created By  Quote Number  Customer Name Status 

I am wondering how I take columns from the Variable.VariableName table in the database, and turn them into tables containing ValueText.  I can successfully do this with one variable; however, in order to do this with multiple variables, it seems I would have to create a second instance of table in the query.

For example, this results in a list of only one variable, where I want several:

SELECT     D.Filename

,Vv.ValueText AS 'name of variable'               --Lists text values of variable

FROM        Documents AS D

,VariableValue AS Vv

,Variable AS V

WHERE     DocumentId = Vv.DocumentId

AND V.VariableId = Vv.VariableId

AND V.VariableName = 'variable name'          --Limits query to desired variable

AND D.Filename LIKE '%name of form%'

Thanks

-Cory

• Re: How do you display multiple variables in a report
          Michael Dekoning

A SQL guru might be able to tell you how to do this. For myself the best option would be to create a Search with a Result column set containing the desired variables and use the Export Result button to a CSV file that you could open in Excel. The other option would be to use the API to run a search and generate the Excel file.

Lee CS Young

Have a look at the Report Examples crp file found in C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Enterprise PDM. There is an example there that has what you're looking for.

Brent Lewis

I had a time with this myself, I am still learning the structure of EPDM. I will share the approach I took when working on a report.

Notice the Outer Apply. I will use as a template in other reports. I just have to identify my Variable ID and then give it any name I choose.

I hope this helps someone else in the future. The variable table is a tower table and they can be tough to crack sometimes.

SELECT       

S.Name AS 'Current State'

,D.DocumentID AS Document_Num

,WF.Name AS WorkFlow_Name

,TH.TransitionNr As TranNR

,CONVERT(VARCHAR,CAST(TH.Date AS DATETIME), 101) As 'DateCreated'

,D.Filename AS File_Name

---Need to Order States so looks in line with work flow

,Case When S.Name = 'NPD Request Created' Then '01-NPD Request Created'

When S.Name = 'NPD Request Submitted' Then '02-NPD Request Submitted'

When S.Name = 'Awaiting Frame Design Review' Then '03-Awaiting Frame Design Review'

When S.Name = 'NPD Frame Design Sample One' Then '04-NPD Frame Design Sample One'

When S.Name = 'NPD UPH Design Sample One' Then '05-NPD UPH Design Sample One'

When S.Name = 'Next Sample Frame Design' Then '06-Next Sample Frame Design'

When S.Name = 'Next Sample UPH Design' Then '07-Next Sample UPH Design'

When S.Name = 'Final Frame Costing' Then '08-Final Frame Costing'

When S.Name = 'Final UPH Costing' Then '09-Final UPH Costing'

When S.Name = 'Group ready For Trial Run' Then '10-Group ready For Trial Run'

When S.Name = 'Group Ready For Production' Then '11-Group Ready For Production'

Else S.Name End As 'State Sort'

,tba.[Project Manager]

,tba.[Style Name]

,tba.[FrameType]

,tba.[ProductLine]

,tba.[Project Type]

,tba.[Market Year]

,tba.[Market Period]

,tba.[NPDSource]

FROM    Status AS S

INNER JOIN

Documents AS D ON S.StatusID = D.CurrentStatusID

INNER JOIN

Workflows AS WF ON S.WorkflowID = WF.WorkflowID

INNER JOIN

TransitionHistory As TH ON D.DocumentID = TH.DocumentID

Outer Apply

(Select

Max (Case When VV.VariableID = '84' Then VV.ValueText End) as [Project Manager]

,Max (Case When VV.VariableID = '95' Then VV.ValueText End) as [Style Name]

,Max (Case When VV.VariableID = '79' Then VV.ValueText End) as [FrameType]

,Max (Case When VV.VariableID = '82' Then VV.ValueText End) as [ProductLine]

,Max (Case When VV.VariableID = '117' Then VV.ValueText End) as [Project Type]

,Max (Case When VV.VariableID = '118' Then VV.ValueText End) as [Market Year]

,Max (Case When VV.VariableID = '119' Then VV.ValueText End) as [Market Period]

,Max (Case When VV.VariableID = '121' Then VV.ValueText End) as [NPDSource]

From VariableValue As VV

Join Variable AS VA ON VV.VariableID = VA.VariableID

Where D.DocumentID = VV.DocumentID

And         Vv.RevisionNo = ( Select Max( Vv1.RevisionNo )
                                        From VariableValue Vv1
                                        Where Vv1.DocumentID = D.DocumentID And
                                              Vv1.VariableID = Vv.VariableID And
                                              Vv1.ValueText is not null )

) tba

WHERE       

(WF.WorkflowID IN (N'24','N'25') AND (D.Deleted = 'False')AND TH.TransitionNr ='1' AND (D.DocumentID NOT IN ('107784'))

ORDER BY [State Sort]

Cory Engdahl

Thanks for sharing!  I took the same approach that the examples showed, using variable tables.  I like your method much better.

Tim Webb

Brent,

Nice query. Where does the [State Sort] field come from?

Tim

Brent Lewis

Tim

I am creating that field with a case statement, In the outer apply. It doesn't need to be there though, that's me being speedy.

I will move out next time I am in that sp. The better place for that Case statement is before the first From.

It worked so I didn't notice the fine detail of its placement. << Got my From's mixed up......

I use them a lot when the data itself does not come out in a meaningful manner.

Example, Data gets coded a 40899. I know what that is but the manufacturing floor might not. So I would case it.

Case When ( Table.Field ) = '40899' Then '4x8 5 PLY CD'

Else Table.Field  End As 'Material Description'

They don't know what 40899 is but they know what a 4x8 5ply grade is.

I did the State sort because this  was created for a Chart for BIDS. When I just used the ( names of the states ) they scrambled the Chart order from A to Z.

So I wanted to add 01-02-03 Order so beginning to end would go left to right and look more like the flow its traveling.

Brent Lewis

Ran into an issue with variable revisions on something else, thought I would update the code in the outer apply.

Its more or less what is needed from the (report example.crp) to get the latest one if your variables do have a chance to change.