20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2017 11:50 AM by Dennis Dohogne

why does sw suck so bad?

Charles Frascona

I have been using all of the different solid modeling software for the last 18 years.  Solid works has still not achieved a top tier level yet.  The newest release 2015 is one of the worst engineering package yet.  Yes, if I was a marketing person look to making good looking pictures i would be very content.  But i'm not, I'm an engineer who is trying to design simple electrical panels for a customer.  They where sold a seat of Solid Works under the pretense it was less expensive the other modelers.  Though, this may be somewhat true, they where not told the a simple assembly of 50 parts would bring a supper computer to it knees.  Simple modifications to component parts will cause mating parts to fail, i.e. lost of mating face because it moved. Regeneration, takes 15 mins for 50 parts????  I be blunt, the software is the worst ever, I could not honestly it would rate as a third tier software.  The kids in High School may think it's the bomb, but as a professional it's junk.        

• Re: why does sw suck so bad?
          Roland Schwarz

I don't have the same problems.  Either I'm smart enough to get around these problems or too dumb to see them.

Alin Vargatu

I would be very interested to troubleshoot such an assembly.

Jeff Mirisola

Charles,

If, as you contend, SolidWorks is junk, can you explain why it's so widely used across a variety of fields successfully? How could there be companies out there with 10,000+ components in their assemblies where a 50 part assembly brought your "super computer" to its knees? Could the root cause be you, and the supercomputer, versus the software? Perhaps you should be asking what truly is causing your problems versus simply blaming the software.

I don't use a supercomputer, just a middle-of-the-road Dell, and I routinely work in 500+ component assemblies without my computer being brought to its knees. What I do do is utilize best practices, ones that I've learned from my 16 years of experience along with gleaning information from others.

Perhaps you should ask for some pointers, or post your assembly so that others can try to help solve the issues you're having, rather than just posting a rant?

Chris Michalski

As far as design horsepower goes it might not be Pro-E or Catia grade but SW is a pretty powerful package that is intuitive to interact with. 

It all depends on what you're doing and your design style as to what software you will be happiest with.  I've done a couple of electrical controls in it and they've turned out fairly well (for an ME doing EE design).  I typically do high temperature process design and it is ideal.

If you've got specific problems the folks on this board are more than happy to offer assistance.

But as with most situations, you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Starting off telling us we're 3rd tier engineers for using SW isn't the best way to convince people to offer suggestions.

Alin Vargatu

Forgot to ask you Charles, have you taken any formal training in SolidWorks?

Charles Frascona

Alin, Yes I have had "formal" training.  I have gone through basic,sheet metal and large assembly.I have to admit that I have some over modeled parts.  But, I feel that the performance is a function of the software, I run Creo 3 on the same computer with larger models and the regen time are more than half.  I was ranting from frustration before and I apologize, moment got the better of me.

Lenny Bucholz

Alin Vargatu wrote:

Forgot to ask you Charles, have you taken any formal training in SolidWorks?

why would he need that he has 18 years of solid modeling of "ALL OF THE OTHERS PACKAGES"

Daniel Andersson

Is this post for real...? Sounds like a good flame bait...

As previous posters says. 50 parts assembly is not a challange from SW. I think that SW does a good job when I compare it with ProE and NX. Of course each of them have their ups and downs. But I would say that SW is quite strong even if you put it up against NX in solid modeling. Then add the pricing to it.... you have to pay a good amount of money for Catia, NX etc.

What other CAD softwares have you tested on your supercomputer? Could you also post your modelling practice?

Devin Weston

Upload your assembly and let's see what we are working with here.

I agree, solidworks aint perfect, but dang.

Kevin Harms

I have a regular Dell workstation, and build assemblies with more than 100 parts on a daily basis, and  my computer does note even break a sweat.  Tell us about your Super Computer.

Mike Pogue

If your 50 part assemblies are breaking your computer, they are not well assembled.

Glenn Schroeder

I started with SW2009, on a hand-me-down computer with 1 or 2 GB RAM, and it handled 50 part assemblies just fine.  The one I'm using now is certainly faster, but that old one certainly wasn't "brought to it's knees".

Theo Linders

this looks like parts that aren't modelled correctly and maybe also mating issues.

Do you have parts with complex patterns on it, eg. perforations? That also extends generation time.

Can you post some of your files?

John Lhuillier

The one thing we've ran into is if any of the parts are using imported bodies from other cad systems is to check the models to make sure they are good models. I had a part in a mold that was from a step file that I was using to mate & use for other parts I modeled up & every time I would load the model to work on it, anything that was linked to that part was bad. Found out that there were bad areas within the imported part that was causing all of the errors. Once those were fixed the model worked.

David Suelflow

I have enjoyed the last 10 years modeling in SolidWorks, but if Charles is talking about PhotoView and the Motion Study animations I am with him.  for 12 grand you would think that you could present your designs in a professional way.

Your reply was rejected by a moderator. Please edit your reply and resubmit it for approval.

I think SolidWorks 2015 is garbage. Drawings suck, software support sucks, the program takes 10 minutes to start and save regardless of file size, crashes are constant and autosave is a joke. I agree with Charles Frascona and think Slowidworks should be sued on a class action scale. I've used this program since 1998 and it has gotten worse every year regardless of computer power. If anyone tells me I don't know how to use it (SW) they can suck my hard drive dry. Most of the countless problems have existed for years with only new splash screens and a few features added for marketing. Mating, dimensioning, configurations, cropped views, color schemes, realview, page numbers, all still suck just like the cons replying to Charles here. Go engineer support couldn't fix a single issue at my desk and were incompetent to the nth degree. I wouldn't pay 50 dollars for this worthless program.

Your reply was rejected by a moderator. Please edit your reply and resubmit it for approval.

I think SolidWorks 2015 is garbage. Drawings suck, software support sucks, the program takes 10 minutes to start and save regardless of file size, crashes are constant and autosave is a joke. I agree with Charles Frascona and think Slowidworks should be sued on a class action scale. I've used this program since 1998 and it has gotten worse every year regardless of computer power. If anyone tells me I don't know how to use it (SW) they arr incorrect. Most of the countless problems have existed for years with only new splash screens and a few features added for marketing. Mating, dimensioning, configurations, cropped views, color schemes, realview, page numbers, all still suck just like the cons replying to Charles here. Go engineer support couldn't fix a single issue at my desk and were incompetent to the nth degree. I wouldn't pay 50 dollars for this worthless program.

John Stoltzfus

Enjoying some old posts gems this morning - sounds almost like

Rick Becker

ONE and TWO in Beta