AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I update linked equations in multiple parts automatically?

Question asked by Mitch C on Oct 29, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 by L. Hansen

Hi,

I've looked all over and cannot seem to find a good solution for linked equation management. The back story: I'm working on a project which requires significant parameterization, most of which is not based off of standard sizes/parts (so configurations are not applicable). Each part is linked with a single equations file (equations.txt), which is output by another program.

I would like to be able to open the top-level assembly, press as few buttons/keys as possible, and have each part in the assembly rebuild based on the changed equations.txt. I have tried some recursive rebuild scripts (superrebuild I believe), which are not able to rebuild the equations section of the part. For some reason, SolidWorks has separated the rebuild to exclude linked equations, and so linked equations can only be rebuilt (from what I can find) by manually going into Manage Equations and using the special rebuild button.

Is there a way to automate this? Can it be done with some sort of forced rebuild from the top level assembly? Is there perhaps a better way to link these values?

I would like to avoid using the top level assembly to link the parts through the assembly as I've found dimensions from top-down create issues with sub assemblies and the like.

For reference, I'm using SolidWorks 2013 (x64). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Outcomes