Clive Kennard

Matt rubber material

Discussion created by Clive Kennard on Apr 10, 2007
Latest reply on Apr 11, 2007 by Rob Rodríguez
I am having a heck of a time trying to get a realistic rendering of one of our products. We use a 2 shot molding process, the first shot being a clear polycarbonate, the second shot a soft elastomer material. The elastomer is matched to a pantone colour which I have input equivalent RGB values to recreate the colour. I have used the matt rubber material with the RGB values and tried several settings for ambient, diffuse and specular including ambient 1 diffuse 1 and specular 0. I have tried Matte material and constant material but nothing gives me the correct "soapy" look. I have also tried adding lights, adjusting the ambient lighting etc..

The look I get is either too reflective on the elastomer or too dull giving a grey cast to the yellow. What I am looking for is a bright but matte finish if that makes any sense.

Maybe I have to cheat and change the color from the correct pantone?

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate your input. The main problem is the amount of time I am spending on iterative renders with indirect illumination and building photon maps etc.. just to get this damn colour and finish right.

attached is a photo of an instrument and a rendering

Attachments

Outcomes