9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 3:13 AM by Alan Enns

Recommendations for a site or book to practice more solidworks

Eduardo Perales

I'm looking for a site or a book that can help with learning more on solidworks I'm trying to learn more I know I'm guessing the basic stuff, but I'm trying to find something that is more real world work, all I know was from learning at school but it was just the basic stuff I want to learn more about tubing, sheet metal etc, especially assembly and also editing parts in assembly,  so any good sites or books.

• Re: Recommendations for a site or book to practice more solidworks
          Jeff Mirisola

There are plenty of YouTube videos available. There are pay sites like SolidProfessor.com or igetit.com.

A google search will give you a plethora of sites like: LearnSolidWorks.com - SolidWorks Tips, Tricks & Tutorials , Free Solidworks Tutorials or even SolidWorks Tutorials - Dassault Systèmes .

I'm sure any of those will help you succeed.

Andrew Kronquist

There's a lot of good stuff in Matt Lombard's SolidWorks Bible. I even used it today to refresh myself on how to use cutouts in drawings. I have it on the Amazon cloud so I can read it at work or home.

YouTube videos can be great, but most of them are hard to see, hard to understand, don't have sound, or all three.

Steve Staehle

the solidworks bible as mentioned is a GREAT source for cheap. otherwise, your VAR should offer training classes too. i got ALOT out of the couple i went to

Kevin Harms

If you have access to Solidworks and a pair of calipers, ruler etc., you can always find things to model.  That is good real world practice, and it will lead you to use the help, and other resources.  That is how I learned, by doing it on a daily basis.

Eduardo Perales

Oh ok, thanks for the info, I've heard of that solidworks bible but never tried it, I can model simple parts some high detailed parts, but I'm trying to learn more on like the weldments, tubing,  top down approach, I currently work as a machinist but all the parts I see are just repeats so don't get to practice drawing what ever we have hear I've already done those.

Alin Vargatu

Try my.solidworks.com. There are video tutorials for all areas in SolidWorks.

Alan Enns

I too am looking for a good resource for practicing SolidWorks - something beyond basic sketching and part modelling. I found many examples of those online which helped me pass the CSWA. But there was very little in the way of exercises for assemblies, or for using features such as loft and sweep,  or equations and configurations. I came across this thread and though it is 4 months old, it is still unanswered, so I thought I would add my two cents regarding some of the previously offered recommendations.

A word of warning regarding Igetit: I have access to SolidWorks 2009 and since they offer courses for that version, I checked them out. They have a nice sample video on plastics, so I thought it could be worthwhile and I paid for the membership. What I found was the "courses" for the older versions were simply a cut-and-paste of the SolidWorks help files, nothing more. You already have access to these, and reading help files is not the same as taking a course. At this point I thought I had basically flushed my money away.

Looking to at least get some value for my membership, I investigated their courses for more recent versions of SolidWorks and found that from (I think it was) 2013 on there actually are video lectures, and they are relatively well done. However, I found that the videos were not presented in the order that they were made. For example, at the end of, say, section 15 the presenter might say "next we will cover blah", but you will find that "blah" is covered in section 19. That's not too hard to adjust to, but other times it's the other way around, where a section seems to come out of the blue and it's only later that you cover the section(s) that clearly were intended to precede it. This causes some difficulties when they are modelling a single part throughout a number of sections. It's as if no one beta tested the courses.  All in all, it has not been an entirely a worthless exercise, but still a little disappointing.

I also bought the 2009 SolidWorks Bible. Some sections were informative, while others did little more than show a screen capture of the associated feature's Property Manager. Many of the included step-by-step tutorials were missing steps, and at times it was nearly impossible to replicate what the author had done. I thought maybe I was missing something, so I read some reviews on this book and the subsequent 2010 version, and found that this was a common complaint. For what it's worth, I personally wouldn't recommend the 2009 version of the book, though later versions may be better.

Regarding tutorials: I took 10 math courses en route to my engineering degree. It's easy to follow a good instructor's lessons, but I found I only really learned the material by actually doing the assigned problems.  Tutorials are the same; at least for me they are. What would be really nice would be something more like a text book with lots of exercises to practice. Anything like that out there?

Alan Enns

Just a follow-up on my question regarding a text book with lots of exercises to practice. I purchased the book SolidWorks 2012 for Designers by Sham Tickoo. I believe it may actually be used as a text book at some schools.

For the most part, this is a well-written book with a lot of good information. There are very few errors apart from some minor grammatical issues, but nothing that reduces your understanding of the material. The information is presented in a thoughtful manner and the various tools and features of Solidworks are well-explained. Each chapter ends with some quite relevant tutorials, a self-evaluation test, review questions, and some exercises. The tutorials are well done; it is worth following them as I found they introduced me to different methods than I would have used to arrive at the same outcome.

The book has a companion web site where you can download the part files associated with the figures in the book. I found this very handy as you can load the part and play around with it to get a better sense of the feature being described.

The exercises is where the book disappoints. Most chapters have only 2 or 3. I had hoped for many more. I took engineering graphics long ago when it was still done with pencil and paper. I got out my old text (Engineering Design Graphics 5th ed. by James H. Earle); many chapters had between 30 and 50 exercises of increasing difficulty. So with only 2 or 3 you're still just scratching the surface. All the same, I would give the book a score of 8.5/10. Definitely recommended. I would buy another book from this author.