AnsweredAssumed Answered

initial position

Question asked by Alan Thomason on Oct 24, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 24, 2014 by Jared Conway

I have an assembly in which two of the parts have torsional springs applied.  It is important that the preload on those torsional springs be precise.  For that reason, and just the desire to be consistent, I always need the initial positions of the parts to be the same.  Yes, I can move the parts and then reset the keys.  That seems prone to error..all one has to do to produce erroneous results now is reset the keys accidentally, like when trying to get a different view.  Perhaps it is just me but I find it incredibly easy to inadvertently mess up these keys.  I would have more confidence if I could have a number entered for the position. 

So what I have been doing so far is to set up an angle mate, which is suppressed a short time into the simulation with another key.  That has worked, and is very robust, but as I have built up this model, the time to calculate has been going up, up, up.  Now it takes six hours.  I can hear the readers laughing now but I am trying to achieve something in which the fine results are quite important and thus far the only way I have found to get close to realistic looking results is to adjust settings that keep raising the time. 

Although they aren't the worst problem for the simulation, I can see the timeline hanging on the deactivation of those mates for quite a while.  So, there are probably methods that I use, possibly like this, that consume a lot of calculation time when there are other more efficient ways of achieving the same thing but just as robust. 

Does anyone have any better methodology for setting up robust initial positions?

Outcomes