5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2014 6:42 AM by Bill Tucker

Testers for CAD similarity and retrieval system needed

Omar Elazhary

Hello everyone. I'm currently working on a step-based CAD model similarity and retrieval system as part of my master's thesis. Would anyone be interested in testing the functionality and user experience in January?

• Re: Testers for CAD similarity and retrieval system needed
          Bill Tucker

Hi Omar, Yes I would be interested in helping you with this project. We find ourselves comparing new revisions of parts all the time. Keep me posted on your progress and we can try it out.

Omar Elazhary

Thanks Bill. I'm extremely grateful. The testing phase is scheduled for the first half January. In the meanwhile, may I ask as to what expectations you have regarding such a system? I mean, what do you expect the interfaces to look like? What data should be stored about CAD models? If you have any input, I'd appreciate it immensely.

Bill Tucker

Omar, I would guess you would keep the interface similar to SolidWorks. Here at our company, we receive new revisions of existing parts. Most of the time they are very close to original geometry, typically moving holes and or slots to different locations or configurations. However there are times they make changes in the basic geometry as well. Your idea of being able to quickly compare parts is very exciting. Right now we pull the new part file in with the old and try to find features, planes, etc. to mate one to the other. This tends to be a frustrating task sometimes. If I read your post correctly,  you are trying to develop a program that would help with this process. What are your thoughts ?

Omar Elazhary

Hi, sorry it took so long. I had to discuss with my supervisor what exactly I'm allowed to disclose about the application. It's very much like you said (I'm assuming "mate" means "find similar parts". Sorry, it's a term I've never heard before.), I'm trying to find similar parts based on their features. A designer would submit a part or specify some part information (normally about the features) and then the query would run against an index or database of parts. The most similar would be returned as a result. However, so far, only simple parts are supported.