11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2015 3:22 AM by Martin Solem

Enterprise PDM 2015

Nahid Rumana

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade to Enterprise PDM 2015 SP0.0 from 2013 SP2.0. Is anyone using Enterprise PDM 2015 SP0.0? Are you having any problem with this latest one?

Regards

-Nahid

• Re: Enterprise PDM 2015
          David Heverin

Nahid,

We are not on EPDM 2015 yet, but there is something else in your question that you may want to consider.

You said you wanted to upgrade to EPDM 2015, SP0.  At our location I do not upgrade until EPDM reaches SP2 (at least) and more normally, SP3.  The reason for this is that experience has taught me that SolidWorks usually has some "bugs" to work out in early service packs.  By the time they reach SP2 or SP3 the product is typically pretty stable.

Nahid Rumana

Thanks, David.

There is another issue with 2015 that it does not support Microsoft Office 2007 documents. We manage lot of  Microsoft Office 2007 documents in our EPDM system - I'm not sure how 2015 will handle these documents.

Regards

-Nahid

David Heverin

EPDM 2015 does not support Office 2007 documents?  If this is true, it will be a problem for me also as many of my change documents are Office 2007 versions and dome are Office 2003 versions.  Guess I'll be going into all of them and saving as 2010 or 2013 versions.  That should be interesting since Microsoft usually makes some pretty significant changes from one version to the next.

Randy Austin

Nahid,

Just like David, we typically wait until the SPs come out and things are stable. However I have a couple of CAD People that like to jump the gun and get their Solidworks up and going quickly..which typically forces me to do the conversion to the latest and greatest.

Martin Solem

I have tested SP0, and run SP1 and SP1.1. in small production environments.

My impression is good so far, but a very few odd problems with some SolidWorks files has made me wait with further upgrades until SP2 is released.

This problem is not a huge showstopper, but something you should be aware of, and it is that SolidWorks crashes when working with certain files. For now we have no solution, and these few files has had to be recreated. One set of files was saved by deleting and recreating cut-lists.

The official support for MS Office may not be shipped with EPDM 2015, but when it comes to Office 2007 files, i have just tested with a Word file, and found that 2015 SP1.1 at least, handles this as before. I can create, check in, check out, change and delete the document, and the custom properties from data card are written to the file, and can also be updated from within Word.

The Office Add-in also works with 2007, as far as i can tell.

Nahid Rumana

Thanks Martin, for your response.

It is good to know that there is no problem with Microsoft 2007 word files in EPDM 2015 so far.

The crashing of Solidworks files - is this a general software problem of SP1.1? Do you think this will be fixed in SP 2.0?

Regards

- Nahid

Martin Solem

Hi Nahid,

So far i'm only hoping. The problem is that I have not been able to identify the source of the problem.

Since this has only happened to maybe 20 files all together, they have just been manually fixed, so right now i don't have a vault with errors in it to confirm if SP2 is better or the same. I'll see if i can gather some of those files with errors though, then i can update this thread with my test results.

Best regards, Martin