4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 9:30 AM by Chris Sargent

Updated graphics card to approved driver and saving and opening is even slower :(

Colleen Christie

So I have been having issues with slow opening and saving of drawings (as my assemblies are very large and generate approx 50 sheets in a dwg), but I have also been having issues with views disappearing on sheets, geometry that is unselectable when adding dims and notes etc.  I did a solidworks rx and my graphics card is approved but the driver was not so our IT guy updated my driver to the one recommended by solidworks. (FirePro V3800)

SInce the update my files are even slower to open and save and I am still getting views that disappear etc. Sometimes a ctrl+q works but quite often I have to restart SW to have my views reappear.

Any thoughts on why the driver may cause opening and saving to slow even further?

Thanks,

Colleen

• Re: Updated graphics card to approved driver and saving and opening is even slower :(
          Chris Sargent

I have had lots of problems with my FirePro W5000.  The certified drivers caused all sorts of problems.  Even the certified drivers for AutoCAD caused problems.  I went through several of the older drivers from AMD's website till i got one that wroked.

Are you using Dual monitors by any chance?  I also had to reconfigure my monitor connections to solve some of my display problems.

• Re: Updated graphics card to approved driver and saving and opening is even slower :(
              Colleen Christie

Yes, I do use dual monitors.

What do you mean by reconfigure your monitor connections?  I don't do the IT, so I just try to gather info for our IT guy based on the issues I find!

Thank you,

Colleen

Chris Sargent

Good morning.  My situation may be a little different than you.  I have 2 W5000 in my workstation.  Overkill....yes.  I still had the same problem if I just connected to one W5000.  I tried everything to solve my problems with my W5000.  I got a somewhat working driver from AMD's website but that still did not fix everything.  I tried different versions of catalyst control center.  That still didn't fix everything.  Then I started thinking maybe my monitors needed to be connected a certain way.  There is nothing about a specific order to connect up monitors on AMD's website.  I tried several combinations till I found one that worked.  AMD customer support did not help me at all when I called them.  Basically we will not be getting any more workstations with AMD graphics cards again.  I do not get many problems now that I am using a older driver and a older version of catalyst control center and rearranged my monitor connections.  It took me a while to figure things out.  I attached a example of what one of my display problems looked like.  I would be working on a model and toggle to another model I had open.  Then I would toggle back to my model and this is what my SW would look like.  Best of luck.  I hope you are able to solve your display problems soon.  I know my situation is different but it all still boils down to the drivers not working together... monitor drivers, graphic card drivers, and the version of catalyst control center installed.  Sorry I could not be more help. 

Solidworks model dispaly problem.jpg

Kelvin Lamport

Try deleting the graphics drivers using a driver clean-up utility to fully delete, and re-install the driver after rebooting.