7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2014 11:35 AM by Jamil Snead

cosmetic threads displaying incorrectly

Ryan Beck

The dimension (highlighted) is correct.  The display is not.  I tried re-building (CTRL+Q) for both the drawing and the part, flipping the section view in the drawing, hiding/showing, and completely deleting the threads and starting over.  And yet, this is the best I can apparently get... [SW2014, SP4.0, Win7x64]

• Re: cosmetic threads displaying incorrectly
          Lenny Bucholz

have you tried turn the cosmetic thread off in holeWiz and then turn in back on?

does it display correctly without the side hole coming into it?

does it display correctly in a none sectioned view?

that might help find out what is causing the problem

Jamil Snead

I suspect the problem is that the threaded depth set in the hole wizard is set from the bottom of the counterbore (as the dimension shows) but the top of the threads are removed by that tapered hole. So I bet the cosmetic thread display is showing .453 from the place where the threads start at the bottom of the tapered hole. This would be a bug.

Something that might display better is if you have the hole wizard hole just show the pilot hole without cosmetic threads, then add your own cosmetic threads starting at the bottom of the tapered hole and set the depth to whatever it needs to be from that point. I hope that makes sense.

Ryan Beck

Thanks for you help as well.

I also suspected that the depth was the problem on this, and attempted to edit the depth, etc. to get it to refresh correctly.  But once I added the dimension to the print (.453) my frustration grew.  I think you are right about the bug.

Since it is a revolved feature - not a hole wizard - it is also a manually inserted thread.  The part was originated in prior to '09, so not sure what to blame here.  It could be newer functionality conflicting with older?  I have had this happen and actually cause some bad parts now, so I am a little unnerved...

In the end, I decided to manually draw the threads as they should be, and I hid the feature threads.  I will have to watch for issues on future parts.

Thanks again...

Jamil Snead

I wonder if this is something they have fixed since 2012. When I modeled a part with similar geometry using a revolve cut and add cosmetic threads everything displays and dimensions correctly. I am on SW2014.

threaddisplay.PNG

Lenny Bucholz

Ryan Beck wrote:

Since it is a revolved feature - not a hole wizard - it is also a manually inserted thread.  The part was originated in prior to '09, so not sure what to blame here.  It could be newer functionality conflicting with older?  I have had this happen and actually cause some bad parts now, so I am a little unnerved...

Ryan,

Yes sometimes older versions of a file opened in a newer version get glitches and you have to figure out what the culprit is and modify the part, sorry just the way it goes.

Save the part and drawing out as a new name and try this. remove or suppress the cosmetic thread you added. then use the holewiz tap to add at the top of the counterbore and have the cosmetic thread icon selected, then see if it works.

last question why are you dimensioning the hole in the section and not in the circular view using a hole callout? which is the correct place because it is a note than controls the whole revolve and a machinist will use for programming, just askin.