40 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 1:38 PM by Richard Wagenaar

Does SolidWorks 2015 support retina resolution ?[SOLVED]

Erfan Taatizadeh

Hi

Does SolidWorks 2015 support Retina resolution? for example in Macbook pro Retina or etc !!!

Thank you

Update:

Just install SolidWorks 2016 and it completely supports higher resolution such as retina or etc.

Good luck

• Re: Is SolidWorks 2015 support retina resolution ?
          Jeff Mirisola

I'm going to guess that it doesn't, and then patiently wait to hear that I'm wrong.

Tom Smith

On the windows side, it just appears as a very large monitor.  Just crank up your windows font DPI and set large icons on the toolbars and it should work fine.

Richard Wagenaar

I know this sounds really crazy but to be able to have support

for retina or 4k monitors you need to upgrade to....... SOLIDWORKS 2005 !!!!

This is no joke.

I did not see SW2015 but from what I heared the problems are still not fixed.

It is really frustrating that support for high resolution monitors takes so long to fix.

Damien Neumann

My Two cents.

I ran the SW2015 SP0 30 day trial on my 15" MBPro Retina to have a look at the new features and found that it scaled the same as any other windows application.

As a side note I am not hugely impressed with the scaling of windows on the retina display but it is certainly usable once you connect a mouse and separate windows keyboard. Can't do a screen shot as the 30 days has expired.

Cheers.

Richard Wagenaar

Could somebody please sent a bitmap of the edit dimension menu

at 200% scaling.   I am really curious if this has been fixed.

I did the same test in 2013 and it is not fixed in 2014.

You can find it here.

Eyestrain and fatigue using Solidworks 2013 because far too small font sizes high res. monitor

This dimension edit menu shows up perfect on SW2005.

Kevin Berni

Hi Richard,

I figured I would include the screenshots you have been asking for.

Here is 2015 at 160%:
                        2015_160%_Modify_Dialog.jpg

And 2015 at 200% :

2015_200%_Modify_Dialog.jpg

And, just for fun 2005 at 200%:

2005_200%_Modify_Dialog.jpg

So, it is better, but not quite where we would like it to be yet. I mentioned in an earlier post that we are working to get the scaling right, and we continue to work in that direction. I appreciate you bearing with us as we work to get it right. I will update you with our progress as we can make it available in service packs and future releases.

For the folks using MacBook Pro, do you mind answering a question or two? 

Are you using the 15" or 13"?  What setting do you have the OS scaling set to: 150%, 200%, something else?

Kevin

Richard Wagenaar

Oke thanks for the info.

I have seen exactly the same in SW2014, so it has not improved in SW2015.

160% is Oke for me when using 2560x1440 at 27"

But it sure is not enough for a modern 4K monitor at even smaller sizes.

I also like the modify dimension menu more in SW2005,  why do you

put the parameter name on top? Changing parameter names isn't used

often. A user interface should only show the necessairy things for the most

used commands. It is oke if you have to press a button to change the parameter

name but to always show it isn't necessairy.

Also, when having more configuration in a part and you want to change dimension

to all or only a single configuration there is a very small area where you have to

do a mousepick which is tedious.  A userinterface is much easier and faster to use if

you have big areas where you can click.

Richard Wagenaar

It is now about 2 years later since the problems I sent in about scaling

and I am sorry to say that there is almost no improvement.

We tested Solidcam 2015. We are still dissappointed about the UI with

modern monitors. Scaling at 200% is still not possible which is necessary

for 4 k monitors.

Apart from that there is another problem.

The only way you can increase the size of the incontext icons is by setting

the option "optimze space for touch"

But if you do that Solidworks changes into "Scrollworks" as the vertical

distance between all text menu options in the tree and RMB menus gets

almost twice as big as necessary. That is causing a lot of scrolling and

mousemovement. I sent that problem about 1.5 years ago to my reseller and

in the newsgroups.

We would like to use modern 4K monitors but that is still not possible without

causing visability problem and making much more mousemovement and scolling

than necessary.

If we want to fully see the dimension text in the editor at 200% we still need to use

a version of more than 5 years old.

Why do problems with modern hardware have such a low priority?

Where is this "3D experience" that Dassault is promising us?

I really like to believe that things are getting better but at some point confidence

gets lost. It sure would be interesting to see if this new Solidworks Conceptual

Mechanical also has these scaling problems and how long it takes to fix hardware

related problems there. Not that I think many users are waiting on Cloud Cad and

probably would look at Onshape first, good old Solidworks.

Solidworks has become a great product because of the user interface and it is

disappointing to see that this is now one of the weakest areas on high resolution

screens. It just get's worse.  In Solidworks 2005 you could adjust the background

colour of the tree and the userinterface followed the colors of Windows.  Now there

is no setting at all to control user interface colours.

With a lot of resources spent on the Cloud I now wonder if the Solidworks UI will improve.

Here some pictures showing the problem when changing the incontext icons.

• Re: Does SolidWorks 2015 support retina resolution ?
                                Paul Salvador

....and,.........they are still....... working....... on,........ the...... SCALING.....   sounds like progress... how nice..

Bryan Kohn

I have SW2015 and am running a 4k monitor. I have been very disappointed with font and icon scaling at 200%.  it is an issue in most dialog boxes, tables, and in-context boxes because you can only see the top 1/2 or 1/3 of text. You run into problems when you can not read the input.

I can not believe 4k has caught SW off guard, but it has and it will be a great day when they fix it which I hope is sooner than later.  I may have to go back to my old HDTV until this gets fixed as I get more and more up to speed with SW2015.

Paul Cullen

Hi Erfan

SOLIDWORKS 2015 does not have support for high resolution monitors. It was announced at SOLIDWORKS World last week that SOLIDWORKS 2016 will have support for high resolution monitors. So you will have to wait until SW 2016 comes out at the end of the year.

Paul

Richard Wagenaar

Oke thanks Paul, so finally there is an answer. It is hard to believe that it takes a full 3 year to fix these problems.

Why did they ever break it,  it worked fine in SW2005, normally regressions are high priority issues.

Find a picture of SW2005 scaling at 250% without half displayed text.

Taking another year to support modern hardware will loose new customers.

Many people use a high resolution notebook nowadays and there is even a new Cad

program in development that can use a mobile phone.

Eric Schneider

I just made the mistake of buying a Dell mobile workstation with a high resolution display and am having the same problems. In addition, when open something like a search box and start typing, the possible choices come up but all are illegible because they are cut horizontally so only about the top 15 percent of the word shows. Does anyone know a workaround for this?

If I try to dial down the resolution, every time I left click in the model space another, smaller window opens up. If I run in Open GL, this problem goes away. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I am tempted to return the computer but every other application looks and runs beautifully on it. Why should I compromise everything else because Solidworks refuses to keep up?

Kevin Berni

Hi Eric,

First, we are aware of these issues when scaling on high density displays and we are working towards a solution. SOLIDWORKS 2016 will provide a significantly improved experience on hardware like yours.

In the meantime, I'd like to ask a few questions about your current setup and perhaps find a workaround for you with 2015:

1. What settings are you using for Windows Scaling and dpi: Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display?
                                      2. Can you provide a screen shot of the box you are seeing on left click when you dial down the resolution?
                                      3. Which display do you have? What is the max resolution and screen size?

Kevin

Eric Schneider

Screenshot (1).pngHere's a screen shot of the multiple window effect. This happens whenever resolution is set to anything below 3200 X 1800, which is the resolution of the laptop display. Of course, this means that I can't use an external monitor.

I have not attempted to adjust the Windows scaling or DPI and did not see settings for these in the control panel.

Eric

John Sweeney

Hi Eric,

The image above looks like it may be related to a graphics card driver issue. Have you verified that your graphics card driver is supported? This is not always the out-of-the-box driver that comes with the machine and is not necessarily the latest one from the Dell website. Visit the site below to check:

https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/videocardtesting.html

-John

Eric Schneider

The driver that is installed is the latest one recommended by Solidworks for my card, which is an Nvidia Quadro 1100. FYI, when I run SW RX, I get two different results. About half the time I the diagnostics tell me that the system is not recognized. The other half of the time I get a green check for the system, card, and driver. I have yet to find a pattern.

John Sweeney

Hi Eric,

Can you please provide more details on your specific machine (ie: Dell M4800 ??), the operating system and current graphics driver version you have installed?  We can see if this combination of items will reproduce the problem on our side.

Thanks,

John

Eric Schneider

John,

The computer is a Dell M3800 running Windows 8.1 pro. I have driver 340.75 installed, as per instructions on the Solidworks website. I just got off the phone with tech support at my SW VAR and they said that they had two of these computers and ended up returning them because they were never able to get Solidworks to run properly. I'm about ready to do the same.

Regards,

Eric

John Sweeney

Hi Eric,

We tested a similar configuration in our lab when we certified the card and we can't reproduce the problem.  Any chance you have dual monitors?

Regards,

John

Eric Schneider

John,

The problem occurs whenever I set the resolution to anything lower than the maximum 3200 X 1800. This can happen when I connect up to a single external monitor, a projector, or even if no additional display is connected. Today I did a clean install of the Nvidia drivers and updated the drivers for the Intel graphics, all to no effect.

If you can suggest anything to solve this problem I would be extremely grateful as I'm pretty much ready to return the computer and start over again, not something I'm looking forward to.

Regards,

Eric

Eric Schneider

John,

Further,

I have read in some forums that these kinds of problems occur because of the Intel Optimus technology not actually allowing an application to access the graphics card. One person solved a similar problem in another app by uninstalling Win 8.1 and going back to 7.

Regards,

Eric

John Sweeney

Hi Eric,

One of our graphics developers was able to reproduce the problem.  He found it was tied to multi-monitor and seems to be Win8.1 update 1 and later.   He hasn't found the cause, but it is related to Microsoft attempting to autoscale applications when running on monitors with different DPI.   The unit we tested was a Dell M3800 with a retina class display, 3200x1800 native resolution.

Until we can find the cause and an actual fix, he suggested two possible workarounds for you:

Choice 1:  Go to ‘Screen resolution’ and select the ‘Make text and other items larger or smaller’.   Check the option for ‘Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays’ then choose the size you prefer (ie: "150%").

Choice 2:  Right-click the SOLIDWORKS  desktop icon, click Properties, click the Compatibility tab, and select the box labeled Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

I hope this helps,

John

Eric Schneider

John,

As per my post, which crossed with your reply, I had discovered option 1. As long as I stay at 150% or lower, everything works. I also just implemented option 2. It would seem that most software providers still have a lot of work to do in accommodating the newer high res displays. I must say that after using my new laptop for a week, my old one looks really crude.

I can't thank you enough for looking into this, as my VAR had told me to send the machine back.

Regards,

Eric

Eric Schneider

I'm glad to report that just as I was about to decide to send back my computer I solved the mystery. I went into the resolution adjustment and took the text down one size. Problems mostly solved. I can now run at a resolution that is lower than 3200 X 1800 without getting the strange multiple windows in Solidworks. Text boxes in Solidworks are now readable, although the bottom edges are still cut off. I can eliminate that completely by going down another size, but the text will then be unreadable. This is a good compromise, and I can't wait for SW 2016.

Obviously there's some kind of glitch going on between Solidworks and the graphics drivers, but my system is now usable.

Regards,

Eric

• Re: Does SolidWorks 2015 support retina resolution ?[SOLVED]
                                                                              Deri Jones

Hi Eric/John

Thanks for solving my issues with a 4K monitor - I had the same problems with a M3800 running windows 10 and SW2016. If you set the scaling on both monitors to the same (150% works on a ASUS PB287), then everything is fine and Solidworks looks glorious in 4K with readable icons!

Just need the reading specs to see the icons on Rhino!

Cheers

Deri

Richard Wagenaar

I agree icons are oke,  they are huge and for lower resolutions too big.

But the text fonts in the property manager are not fixed in SW2016.

Just change your windows font to 11-12 points and find the big difference

in font size between property manager fonts and other fonts.

The fonts in the property manager are too small for 4k and a small screen.

Bryan Kohn

4K support in 2016 is vastly improved and I have been 4king away for awhile now. Here are the issues I am still having.

1. Controlling the Mouse is difficult in 4K. I am extremely slow and unable to select items such as lines, edges, midpoints and points quickly in 4K.

2. The Exit sketch Icons in the upper right hand corner of the screen always appear behind the Resources Tabs. Not so at 1080p.

3. The line to grip and resize the Motion Panel at the bottom of the screen seems to be less than 1 pixel tall. It is almost impossible to grab that line and resize the panel. I noticed the Management Panel on the left has a little grip to resize it and the grips between the vertical sections are wide lines that are easy grab. Maybe we need something like that on the motion panel.

Bottom line is that I think the pure tininess of 4k elements, even on a 40" screen at 1 meter away are impacting my speed and performance dramatically. There needs to be a way to desensitize the mouse so that if you are very close to objects, they will activate. (I think some elements like edges already do this). 

J.R. Raith

One solution I've found is to follow the directions for making a Manfest file that that tells Windows to disable scaling:

http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

Following this method, make the registry change he recommends and save his manifest.txt file into your Solidworks directory as SLDWORKS.exe.manifest. This causes Solidworks to open without scaling the interface.

The downside is that you will see aliasing that you might not expect. I don't use Solidworks heavily (I'm just an IT support guy), so I don't know how this will affect drawings or the usability of Solidworks, but it *will* make the display larger.

The real fix is for the parent company to code Solidworks for high-DPI displays. They will only become more common.

Derek Sullivan

What a joke.  They're going to fix it next year and they'll probably leave legacy versions alone when it's nothing more than a simple library change?  It's pretty disappointing that so much money can be spent on software and it doesn't support something as simple as high resolution monitors.

Erfan Taatizadeh

Hi

As I type this, I'm currently Using 2016 version of SolidWorks. It completely supports higher resolution such as retina or etc.

Good luck

Michael Komornick

Currently running Solidworks 2015/16 Student on the latest XPS 15 (i7,16gb, 2 gb Nvidia 960m, windows 10) and things are running silky smooth for the time being, though I haven't done all that much yet. I gave up the hope for full resolution just about right off the bat and found that setting it to 1600x900 gave me the best balance of sharpness and an ideal scale. The kicker was disabling the display scaling under SW's properties, which brought everything back together. I definitely considered returning this thing for more than a few moments there, but with this solution I'd say the little bits of compensation are definitely worth while I wait for the software to catch up.

Richard Wagenaar

Yes I agree.  It is causing me RSI problems and probably many others.

Solidworks always has had these precise mousemovements that you won't

find in some other 3D Cad systems. When switching to Solidworks from Autocad

in 1995 I always have had this paintbrush feeling with less controll needing more time.

Sketching in Autodesk Fusion is much more confortable and you can draw much faster

because it doesn't need the precise mouse movements that Solidworks needs. Also

highlighting and snapping works better in Fusion.

Probably few Solidworks people have a proper understanding how all aspects of

an efficient UI should work. It is not only mouseclicks or mousemilage but also

the precise mousemovements that counts. If you don't know better you will like SW

but SW is about the worst sketcher in terms of tedious mouseprecision.

It has been 3 years now and still there are major font problems which they can't

or don't solve. Explaining and repeating the problems does not help. It seems like

they just don't get the resources or they don't understand code of programmers

that are gone.