1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 21, 2014 3:56 AM by Timothy Borgonovo

Moving old Cold Storage archives to new location

Bryce Hooper

So my IT dept is complaining about data usage on a particular drive.  I have changed the cold storage schema to now dump into an acceptable place.  But I have this issue of 30 some GB of data in the old location.  Is anyone aware of a tool to move this data?  Or can I simply move it to the new location and see if the vault will look for the files (on the rare occasion we have to pull from cold storage anyway)?  If anyone has an answer I appreciate it, IT is breathing down my neck about this.

• Re: Moving old Cold Storage archives to new location
          Timothy Borgonovo

Bryce: I've done that 2 times. What I've done is:

1) change the path to the new path in the Cold Storage Schema of Enterprise PDM Administration

2) tell your users not to connect to the PDM and exit from Solidworks

3) stop Solidworks enterprise PDM archive and database services on the Windows Server

4) move with a tool like robocopy or commercial software like viceversa or freeware like syncback

5) start Solidworks enterprise PDM archive and database services on the Windows Server

6) delete old "cold storage"

I've done the copy process ou of working hours (my archive is of more than 300 GB), I have FC disks and it took about an hour to move that data to the new folder.