AnsweredAssumed Answered

Dynamic Analysis on encapsulated circuit board assembly surrounded by viscous liquid

Question asked by Jamie Dukelow on Oct 17, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 21, 2014 by Jared Conway

Hello,

I am performing a SRS analysis on a circuit board assembly that can have two very different boundary conditions during it's operation.  In both scenarios, it is encapsulated in a silicone elastomer, and that encapsulated "brick" is fit into a metallic slot that engages about 10% of the brick's length.  In one scenario, the encapsulated circuit board assy is encased in a polyurethane wax that covers about 1/2 of the encapsulated circuit board assy.  In the other scenario, the wax has melted and the only retention that the encapsulated circuit board assy has is the light slip-fit in the metal slot.  I've enclosed a JPG image to show the general construction.  If the circuit board assembly does start to slip out of the slot, it can't go very far because there is a metal housing surrounding everything.  My question is, is there any way to model the melted wax in the Premium Solidworks Simluation package?  I have thought about trying to model it as a boundary condition, such as a "soft spring" condition, but I am not confident about that approach.  Does anyone have suggestions or techniques that they have successfully used, or would I need to purchase a "multiphysics" package of some sort in order to model the melted wax contribution?  I have done some research and found that it is very similar in viscosity and density to a certain diesel oil, so that gives you an idea of its properties.

Thank you,

Jamie Dukelow

Attachments

Outcomes