7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2007 5:27 PM by Jeff Mirisola

Zooming through assembly components

Bruno Bouckaert
      Hi all,

sorry if this is a newbie question and has been asked 100's timesbefore. I have searched but not found an answer.

Is it possible to set the zoom so that you can not just zoom closerto your assembly, but zoom though walls, objects, etc. This isstandard in the other 3D packages I use (Rhino a.o.) and veryessential in my activity (yacht design). I know I can hide parts,but that is just too much trouble to be hiding and unhiding all thetime.

PS - I've asked my VAR, he said it's not possible, but I can'tbelieve it really.

Thanks,

Bruno

• Zooming through assembly components
          Lin Shaodun
          The function you ask for should be the camera function , not the zoom function.

You can set a camera viewport and don't lock it, so you can navigate it to go through the objects
              Bruno Bouckaert
              Thanks Lin,

that's already a great help!

Two additional questions:
              1. Can I use my 3D connexion spacepilot to control the camera view?So far I've only been able to do it with right-clicking, thenchoosing rotate camera / roll view / etc.

2. When I try to edit a 3D sketch (for routing) in cameraview, a strange thing happens. I click on one point, but the greenpoint shows up somewhere else. When I try to drag, the drag goesany direction but the one I want (and usually creates an invaliddrag). Is there a fix for this?
                  Lin Shaodun

Bruno Bouckaert wrote:

Two additional questions:

1. Can I use my 3D connexion spacepilot to control the camera view?
                  So far I've only been able to do it with right-clicking, then
                  choosing rotate camera / roll view / etc.

2. When I try to edit a 3D sketch (for routing) in camera
                  view, a strange thing happens. I click on one point, but the green
                  point shows up somewhere else. When I try to drag, the drag goes
                  any direction but the one I want (and usually creates an invalid
                  drag). Is there a fix for this?

Answer:
                  1. I don't have a space pilot so I don't know when it can control camera motion, but I guess it has customized keys to assign some commands? Anyway you can use some keyboard shortcut to roll/tilt the camera. please refer to Tools-->Customize for more info.

2. It's not recommend to do any editing at camera view or perspective view, under such view, everything become abnormal, (e.g. display of dimension or drag points) this is a limitation of SolidWorks.

Regards.

Travis Curtis
                      I also have a 3D Connexion Space Explorer and I could not getit to control the camera either.  However, at SolidWorksWorld, there was a new motion controller called "Astroid"by Spatial Freedom.  At their booth they were demonstratingthe ability to fly through models using their controller.  Iknow this does no good to us 3D Connexion owners but, I thought Iwould mention it anyway.

Http://www.astroid.com
                  Cory King
                  Try checking out the new ZoomIn Beta in the SolidWorks Labs. It isstill in Beta but it seems to be just for this when I checked itout a month or so ago. It moght be easier than the camera's. Ifound them kind of frustrating to work with.
                      Bruno Bouckaert

Originally posted by: Cory King Try checking outthe new ZoomIn Beta in the SolidWorks Labs. It is still in Beta butit seems to be just for this when I checked it out a month or soago. It moght be easier than the camera's. I found them kind offrustrating to work with.

Hi Cory,

I've downloaded and installed ZoomIn. While it seems a nice thingfor presentations and such, it doesn't help me much when editing inSolidworks. It is a completely separate program.

If I get the issues mentioned above resolved, the unlockedcamera function would do it for me. Without it, I amstruggling.

Thanks for your help Lin and Cory and happy Easter!

Bruno