5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2014 12:21 PM by Jeff Mirisola

Help needed on Equations, Configurations, and Design Table

Raffay Jibran

Hello,

I passed my CSWA recently and now I am trying to attempt CSWP so I am learning stuffs like equations, configurations, design table etc in order to pass this test. Now I am really confused between equations, configurations, and design tables. I am also watching tutorials on YouTube regarding this but I am still confused. I would really appreciate if someone could answer my questions:

1. What is the difference b/w Equations, Configurations, and Design Table?

2. What is the benefit of using these Equations, Configurations, and Design Table?

3. Finally, is it must to know all these three things in order to pass CSWP?

Thanks

• Re: Help needed on Equations, Configurations, and Design Table
          Jeff Mirisola

1. Equations are formulas that, generally, are used to control a dimension. For example, if Dim2 is meant to be twice as long as Dim1, then you can create an equation in Dim2's dimension box that would be something like: =Dim1*2.

Configurations allow you to create different visual aspects in a part or assembly file. You should read the help files for more info.

Design tables are another manner in which to manage visual aspects of a part or assembly file. Again, help files.

2. The benefits to using any of the 3 are varied. Help files.

3. It would certainly help.

• Re: Help needed on Equations, Configurations, and Design Table
            John Winterroth

1.  Equations are used to drive other dimensions.

Configurations are used to drive the design tree. 

- Suppress tree items - features in a part; parts in an assembly

- Properties - color, material type

- Dimensions - ex. Change a dim to have multiple sizes of the same part.

Design tables are used to quickly create configurations.  Utilizing Excel and manipulating, for example, a dimension, you can quickly generate a      large group of configurations without having to manually create each one.

2.  The benefits are...

Equations help to express your design intent.  In Jeff's example, if you know that a dim is always twice another, simplify your work so you only will need to update one dim, not two...or three, or four...

Configurations - Allow you to create one part, but have multiple instances of it.   For example, Socket Head Cap Screws.  We have a huge selection of SHCS's that we utilize at my company.  But we only have 1 part file for each size...6mm, 8mm, 10mm, ect.  Within each part file are multiple configurations in which we chance material type, length and if it has pre-applied threadlocker.  This cuts down on the number of parts you need to create/maintain.  AND...helps keep your assembly file size smaller.

Design Tables - We utilized a design table to create our configurations for our SHCS parts.  Once the first configuration was created we were able to quickly change a few attributes and create 50-100 unique configurations of the same part.   If we ever need to update any information - for example change materials - it can easily be completed.

3.  I can't remember how much is individually on the CSWP exam, but agree with Jeff that it will certainly help with the test.