8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2014 9:20 AM by Sanya Shmidt

How to add a part into a toolbox

Sanya Shmidt

Hello everyone!

I`m trying to setup a fasteners library for our company, We have quite a few of them, lots of variations. The problem I`m having now is organizing. For instance we have Hex bolts : Grade 5 Plain/Zinc/Yellow Zinc, Grade 8 Plain/Zinc/Yellow Zinc, SS-18-8, SS316. - sizes 0.25" to 2" partial and full thread.

The biggest problem is when I add custom properties for them the library grows up. I don`t see any way in the toolbox settings for custom properties to disable a property based on other property selection.

I was actually trying to cheat and copy master hex bolt_ai.sldprt and save it as hex bolt_ai-Grade5.sldprt in the Toolbox library. But when I open Toolbox - I don`t see it as an option with a checkbox.

ToolboxGrade5_8.PNG

I was trying to limit the number of options for each specific Grade so its easy to select fastener you looking for.

Would be great if I could copy HEX Bolt part and rename it and build the Excel table for it without mixing with other materials/grades etc.

I`m not sure if the way I did was correct way of doing that.

I`m just curious if anyone set the toolbox library and customized it for the specific hardware.

Is there any other ways or options exist to simplify this process? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

• Re: How to add a part into a toolbox
          Michael Dekoning

Sanya,

You should copy and paste the fastener in the Toolbox Settings tool to create your new one.

John Koos

We use EPDM where I work and I find that TOOLBOX doesn't satisfiy everyones needs exactly so it's much easier for me to use the ToolBox just to create, for example, a 1/4-20 SHCS then save it in our library. Now that model can have all the necessary length configurations and when done put it in the "standard part" state so no one can change it without authorization. You can still copy the part if necessary. As far as materials, if that needs to be linked then you can copy and "save as" for each material. For me this seems to be quicker since everything is in one location whereas Toolbox seems to burry everything way down deep on your hard drive and then its not shared.

Sanya Shmidt

John,

Thank you. I was thinking to do same as you mentioned above. But I decided to experiment more with the Toolbox and discover its capabilities. If its not going to work we will have to go your route - configure and save every single fastener and save them in the Categorized folder. I already see how painfull this will be to do....

Glenn Jacobs

Sanya, I take it you have set Toolbox and other directories to a network site and directed ALL users to that directory. This would be an important first step. What I have found is that to make a new "bolt" is to copy and paste then make changes to that new file. Time consuming, YES. But only need to be done once per style of bolt.

Sanya Shmidt

Glenn,

We setup Toolbox in the EPDM server.

I thought that if I copy existing configurable part hex bolt_ai as a different part name and save it in the same Toolbox directory where other configurable parts are - next time I go to the Toolbox configuration page new part will appear there as lets say HEX BOLT GRADE 5 so I can add configurations via Excel.

Thanks,