AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best Structural Analysis For Simple Chassis

Question asked by Jay Brek on Oct 10, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 14, 2014 by Jared Conway

Hi,

I am working on revamping my 3 axis CNC router. I am starting to model it in Solidworks. I have never really done any simulation or motion studies, but what I am trying to find is happy balance in the structural integrity of the frame/design. The main thing I guess would be to determine the deflection at arbitrary points in the design while applying force in various amounts and direction to the spindle head. I would like to be able to specific different materials, like aluminum solid bar vs extrusion/tubing vs steel tubing, etc. I'm not sure where the best place to start for something like, or if this is more of a job for a third party plugin.

If this is something that SolidWords can do natively, and do well, can someone point me to any online references that walk thru the best way to set this up. If there are third party plugins or tools that are best suited for rapid analysis for this type of thing (hopefully without a huge learning curve to do it) please point me towards those as I am happy to request a demo for these as our company will likely be investing in the best solution for this type of thing for something that is similar in exercise, but unrelated this chassis design.

Thank you!

Outcomes