3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2014 2:47 AM by Jared Conway

Shell model having issues with bonded edges

Ruairi Mulligan

I could do with some advice on a large mixed mesh analysis I'm working on.

I've bonded edges to faces, but some of the loads aren't transferring properly and I don't know why.

If I render the mesh to show the shell thickness, the edges and faces are in contact, but with an incompatible mesh.

For some reason, at the locations of the assembly where the loads aren't transferring, I have to extend the surface into the flat face.

When the parts are rendered, they interfere with each other, but this seems to be the only way to transfer the load but I don't know why.

Is there a reason why the the parts won't bond normally with a gap between them?

Is there something I'm missing?

Capture2.PNG     Capture0.PNG   Capture1.PNG     Capture3.PNG

• Re: Shell model having issues with bonded edges
          Jared Conway

I could do with some advice on a large mixed mesh analysis I'm working on.

I've bonded edges to faces, but some of the loads aren't transferring properly and I don't know why.

>>what does "load not transferring" mean to you?

If I render the mesh to show the shell thickness, the edges and faces are in contact, but with an incompatible mesh.

>> it will always be incompatible mesh

For some reason, at the locations of the assembly where the loads aren't transferring, I have to extend the surface into the flat face.

>>when you do this does this work?

When the parts are rendered, they interfere with each other, but this seems to be the only way to transfer the load but I don't know why.

>>if they are edge to face this shouldn't happen unless you have the shell offsets wrong

Is there a reason why the the parts won't bond normally with a gap between them?

>> the gaps have to be a reasonable size relative to the mesh

Is there something I'm missing?

>>i would recommend posting an example

• Re: Shell model having issues with bonded edges
            Ruairi Mulligan

Hi Jarod, thanks for responding.

>>what does "load not transferring" mean to you?

When inspecting the stress plot with the discrete display option, I couldn't see whether the stresses caused by the loads were transferring through the bonded components.

I ended up creating a new study and starting from scratch. I think the problem was caused by having a coarse mesh density at the bonded regions.

>> the gaps have to be a reasonable size relative to the mesh

Is there a rule of thumb for determining a relative size?