5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 3:05 PM by Scott Baugh

Renaming the file name or Part nNumber

Scott Baugh

Here at SuperATV we are sometimes given a part number, but most of the time we come up with a new Part number \ name on our own with certain parameters. They have been doing it like this long before I arrived. The problem is that the part number usually changes even if the file has been released. My question is "How do I maintain history of the files and the association within EPDM when I rename the file to a new Part Number? When a new number appears EPDM treats it as if its new. I am the admin currently, but I have not found a good method to follow..

We are researching other means of automating our part number scheme, but first they have to decide exactly what they want.

Thanks,

Scott

• Re: Renaming the file name or Part nNumber
          Jeremy Feist

weird, when we rename a file in EPDM, it recognizes it as the same file with the new name (maintains history and where used info). what method do you use to rename the file?

Scott Baugh

They have been doing a file save as... After reading your reply I just tried using F2 to rename the drawing and the assembly and that worked. I honestly didn't test that method because usually when you do that using windows explorer that causes the links to become broken. Is there a way to rename all the files so they all have the numerical sequence in the file?

I am the admin here, but I am still very green at it.

Thanks for your reply!

1 person found this helpful
                  Jeremy Feist

files outside of EPDM will lose links if you just re-name a file. inside of EPDM, what we see as the file name is really just another piece of metadata as far as the system is concerned.

Brian McEwen

What Feist said.  But don't rename stuff if the parent is checked-out by someone else. That can still break links.

Caveat - there is no way to search the old file names that I can see. Event will say something like "Renamed from blah1" if you look at the History.  But none of the searches cover the Event text. Another fail by the EPDM search.

Scott Baugh wrote:

Is there a way to rename all the files so they all have the numerical sequence in the file?

Not sure what you mean.  ...Oh yeah, you must mean related sldrw and models. If your file name is simple, just a number (or with another consistent format), then I'm pretty sure Dispatch can do them all with one right click action.  Will take some testing and playing with strings and Dispatch variables.