4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2014 4:36 PM by James Harvey

Delete Sheet = SolidWorks Crash, instantly and consistently

James Harvey

Good Day SolidWorkers,

History:

SolidWorks 2014 Standard

x64 Edition

SP3.0

I used a previous slddrw file, via Pack and Go, to create a similar one for a new project. After cleaning up the drawing to reflect changes in the current project, the new drawing required less drawing sheets to convey the necessary information.

Problem:

I want these empty drawing sheets removed from the drawing set. Each attempt has produced a crash as described in the title of this post.

• Has anybody else encountered this?
      • Does anybody have suggestions?
      • I have searched the forum prior to posting my question.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,

James

• Re: Delete Sheet = SolidWorks Crash, instantly and consistently
          Deepak Gupta

Never encountered anything similar so please report to your VAR with the files.

John Burrill

James, in your situation, I'd troubleshoot this from two standpoints: First I'd check your system for compatibility issues by running SolidWorks Rx.  This will give you a report of your system specS and highlight any driver or configuration problems that can affect Solidworks.  Resolving those might make the program behave better.  There's also a utility in Rx for cleaning out temporary files, which if allowed to accumulate for too long, can affect stability.  You should run that tool on  a regular basis.

These are general problems, but they particularly effect large drawings with lots of sheets, because drawings place a heavier load on the machine than any other solidworks file type and so are the most susceptible to crashing.

The second possibility is one of file corruption:which does happen occasionally with large drawings containing dozens of sheets or views.  I had one molding detail that became corrupted just based on the number of section views I had in it and would crash Solidworks when I went to close it.  This is a lousy situation to be in, but I've learned some voodoo over the years that occasionally helps.

First thing I'll try with a corrupt drawing is restarting the machine. This clears all of the caches for video both in windows and on the video card and sometimes  a crashing drawing is just a side effect of a stale graphics buffer.

The next, thing you can try is moving the model files into a subfolder so that the drawing open tool can't find them.  Make sure you pack-n-go the drawing and it's model references to a zip file to serve as a backup before you attempt this.  You'll get a lot of messages about SolidWorks not being able to find the model files but just click through those.  When you're done, you'll have your drawing open but all of the model views will dsiplay without graphics.  If a corrupt view is the problem, this step is like cutting the pwoer to a short circuit.  Try deleting your drawing sheets now.  If you can, then save the drawing and then open the assembly model in it's own window.  When you switch back to the drawing, the views will all be resolved and your annotations and dimensions should display normally on top of them.   You can then save your work close SolidWorks and move your model files back into your working directory.

If you're still crashing at this point, then you might need to salvage what you can from this drawing and dump it.  That means, open your corrupt drawing and then create a new drawing.  Following that, copy and paste the drawing sheets that you want to keep from your old drawing into your new one.  You do that by right-clicking on a sheet tab of the source drawing and selecting "Copy..." from the context menu and then going into your new drawing, right-clicking one of the sheet tabs and selecting "paste" and then choosing, Before, After or "Move to end" from the "Insert Paste" dialog box that appears.   Assuming your successful, you'll need to go through your detailing settings and units and respecify everything.   Here's a hint, you can save most of your document settings to a drafting standard.  In your old drawing go to Options: Document Properties and on the DRafting STandards panel, click "Save to External File..."  Specify a location and filename for the standards file.  Then, in your new drawing, go to the same options panel and click "Load from External File" and select the file you just created.  After this, the only settings you should have to enter manually are on the Units panel.  If that works, then save your new file, overwriting your old file (maybe make a copy of the old file someplace incase you need to compare the two to verify the results)

If you're still crashing at this point, then you are in a world of hurt.  At this point, I'd open a call with your VAR and ask if they can have SolidWorks perform some kind of data recovery on the file.  They'll give you instructions to send it to them.  I had to do this once and although they couldn't recover the file, they identified the source of the corruption and fixed it in a software patch.

If you can't recover the file, I'd make a judgement call about whether it's easier and more reliable to recreate the document from a print or to continue pruning in hopes of removing the corrupt data.  If the answer is the ladder, then start by addressing dependencies on the sheets you want to throw away.  If you have section, detail or projected views with parents on other sheets, try moving a view back to the same sheet as its parent and then delete the sheet.  If you can do that without crashing, then you'll probably have to delete the parent view along with the child view and recreate it.  You can judge how much work that will be.

Anyway, good luck.  I hope you get it sorted out.

1 person found this helpful
                James Harvey

Thank you John.

I have done most of the things on your list to no avail. Unfortunately, diagnosing something like this from the drivers seat is difficult to say the least. Often by the time I determine a problem to be above and beyond typical SW glitchiness I have tried too many work-around variations to track the ones, if any, that may have had a positive effect.

I suspect you are correct in your diagnosis of corrupt slddrw file. I am not the most computer savvy user and I was at first reluctant to try your suggestion of hiding references due to the 860 some-odd references used by this drawing (and I am under pressure to get this drawing released). I think the hiding references idea is a good idea/diagnostic tool and thank you for the detailed instructions. I tried it and still crashed. Please clarify for me though what this will verify (and please excuse my computer ignorance). Am I trying to determine where the corruption is? As in, slddrw, sldasm, or sldprt? In your language above you implied "corrupt [drawing] view", is this another possibility? Or does a "corrupt view" point to the real culprit, a corrupt model being referenced by said view? Help me understand please, if you will.

Other info I failed to provide in my original post:

• slddrw file size: 59,992 kb
                • 35 sheets (including the spare)
                • accessed via network (read: sloow)

(these are shop assembly instructions for electrical controls)

We also have our own issues regarding Windows based file management that I won't delve into in this post.

In this particular case I can release the drawing as a pdf with the incorrect sheet count, no major consequences, so I will not be copy/pasting sheets into a new drawing but thanks for detailing that procedure as well. The downside is that I am trying to build a good library of reusable template projects and this will not be a candidate. And I will be fielding questions about sheet count from the shop later...

Finally, we are not using off-the-shelf computers in our department here but all other aspects meet SolidWorks approved compatibility criteria. Pics below show my system specs.

SystemInfo.jpgSystemDeviceInfo.jpg

I cannot thank you enough John for your time investment in responding to my inquiry! Same goes out to the SW forum community in general. I search the info here fairly frequently and sometimes learn things I didn't know I needed and I often find bits that help improve my efficiency at work. Alas, this book I am writing to you is not serving that purpose. Cheers.

Best,

James