8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2014 4:22 PM by Jamil Snead

How do you guys like to manage your title block information?

Brian Hughes

Just trying to get a feel for the best way to manage title block information for assemblies / parts and their associated drawings. When I say title block information, I am referring to stuff like description, part/drawing #, material, revision #, rev initials, rev date, etc.

For instance, do you like to just edit the notes in the sheet format manually? Or do you put everything into the drawing's custom properties? Or, do you like to keep everything with the part's and assembly's custom properties?

Currently, any information that ends up in our title blocks, we put in the assemblies' and parts' custom properties. This includes description, material, revision information (e.g. revision #, rev initials, rev date, original initials/date), and vendor information. Sometimes, I feel annoyed by the fact that if I want to change any title block information that appears on my drawings, I have to go back to the model, open up the custom properties window/tab, make my changes, apply/save, head back to the drawing, and rebuild. But at the same time, I want all title block information to appear with both the part / assembly I am working on and it's associated drawing. It doesn't seem like there is a good way to do this...

Any thoughts on the best way to manage title block information across parts / assemblies and their drawings?

• Re: How do you guys like to manage your title block information?
          Glenn Schroeder

My drawings are usually multiple pages, referencing multiple models, so I don't have any properties in the title block that come from the models.

I control all the notes in the title block with the drawing's custom properties, and rarely have any need to edit my sheet formats.

Jamil Snead

I like to keep the information in custom properties in the part or assembly. Sometimes our engineers design parts and a draftsman will make the drawings, so doing it with custom props in the part makes it easy for the engineer to specify material and finish etc. when they design the part. Also sometimes we'll need to redo a drawing so it is nice to have the title block populate automatically as soon as the part is added without needing to redo the custom properties.

I don't mind needing to open the part/assembly to make any changes to the info because with the drawing open the model is already open in memory so it's not like it takes a long time to load or anything. I also think it is nice to be able to open a part and know what drawing revision it corresponds to.

Daen Hendrickson

I like to drive everything from the custom properties. However, our title block gets information from both the part/assembly and the drawing's custom properties.

I like to drive it from the custom properties because is helps drive consistency. If the users update the data, they are insulated from messing with title block formatting - font, location, overwriting linked variables, etc.

The items I drive from the drawing custom properties include all the fixed text, watermark, Units of Measure, the drawn/checked initials and dates, and the revision. Each company has their own processes and revision methodology so I understand others do it differently. I like to drive the fixed text with custom properties even though it is supposed to be "fixed". There are the occasional exceptions when "fixed" isn't so and a quick tweak in the properties and your done.

Daen

Jamil Snead

For "fixed" text that sometimes needs to be tweaked, for example an area in the title block for units that would say "inches" but occasionally should say "mm", I have seen it done with multiple notes on different layers and you just hide the layers for the notes that you don't want shown. This only really works if there are finite pre-determined options for certain notes.

I guess the benefit of this versus a custom property is it could be done for long notes so the drafter doesn't need to remember the exact wording and there is less chance of inconsistencies.