5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2014 10:27 AM by Jeff Mirisola

Drawings slow to open, save and regenerate

Colleen Christie

I work with some pretty large assemblies (2000+ parts) and drawings.  I am finding that it takes a significant amount of time to open files, save and even regenerate a file.  I wasn't expecting lightening fast speed as I know these files are large (a drawing file can be around 80mb and contain 50+ pages) but I wasn't expecting it to take around 5 minutes to save or open a file.  It can also take up to 5 minutes to switch from the model to the drawing and vice versa.    Is this "normal" for this size of file or are there issues that I should be looking into to correct.

I am running SW2013 Premium SP3.0 .  My PC has an Intel Core i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60ghz 64 bit, ATA Corsair Force 3 SCSI Drive and 32gb RAM.  I have solidworks installed locally but all of my files are stored on a server that is not more that 10' away from my desk.  I am not using any sort of PDM. My local harddrive is getting pretty full, I only have about 11gb of free space on it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  I have been trying to get my employer to upgrade and purchase EPDM, but we are a small company and I am the only user, so it is a bit cost prohibitive.

Thanks,

Colleen

• Re: Drawings slow to open, save and regenerate
          Chris Wilson

We too use VERY large assemblies.Some stretching ove 3.5km across and 20,000 parts. ie Filed layouts for the Oi and GAs industry. (Yes it's Possible) Too me som e time to get over this problem but we have it well licked now. Religiously, keep all parts as small as possible. I keep most well under 1mb .. or, if you have to scroll down at all in the history tree. The part is way too big. Split them up. Enter small parts into many Sub-Assemblies and so on. IT DOES work. Goos luck

Jerry Steiger

Colleen,

I suspect that you have two problems. The first is the 50+ page drawings. In the not-too-distant past SW would choke long before you got to 50 pages. Now it looks like it just slows down. (I don't think I have ever done a drawing with more than three pages, so I am going by what I read in the forums.) If you can convince people to live with more drawings having fewer pages each you will make your life much easier. The second is storing the files on a server, no matter how close to your desk. Try talking your boss into upgrading your SW to Professional and use PDMWorks. Also either move a bunch of files off of your hard drive to the server or get another or larger hard drive. That will allow you to save the files to the server when you check them in, but work with them locally.

Jerry S.

Colleen Christie

We are a bit unconventional and use SW for architectural type work. So basically the 50+ sheets are things like floor plan, elevations, framing details etc. I have done a few jobs where I did each view and a seperate drawing, but it ends up taking about the same amount of time everytime I have to update, as I now have 50+ individual files that I have to open and make changes to.  I shoudl there be a major revision where I need to bump the rev, then I have 50+ sheets to individually print as well.

I keep most of my parts pretty small as the majority of things are pretty simple geometry, but my top level assembly ends up around 10-15mb.

I will try to create views on sheets based on the sub-assembly rather then the full model and hopefully that will help a bit.

Thank you for your suggestions.  It is very much appreciated!

Colleen

Chris Wilson

I somehow MISSED the part of 50 Sheets on a drawing. Still insist keeping parts small etc. 50 SHEETS ! !  THERE is your problem. Jerry is on the mark with never having more than 3 sheets... 50 ! ? We, NEVER have more than one sheet per Drawing. It just doesn't work. The reasons for doing this 1 sheet per Drawing are many.. Certainly outway any (If any) reasons for having more than one. If you have near identical sheets. Then 'Save As' the sheet before to retain the views and sections you will be needing.

On another note though... I find it more disturbing how 2 'Designer' -'Drafters' call them 'PAGES'

Jeff Mirisola

It would be great if Matthew Lorono were to weigh in on this. However, while working across a network isn't as big an issue as it used to be, working on an assembly, and its associated drawing, that is that big across a network is going to cause problems. I would suggest getting a second hard drive, or just a larger one, so that you can work locally.

I'm familiar with your pain as I helped to layout a potato processing plant in 2008. It was a 255,000 square foot building that ended up in the neighborhood of 4500 parts. Not fun, especially where hardware was six years behind where it is today. Seriously, work locally. It'll save you from throwing your monitor across the office.