11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2018 2:14 PM by Doug Seibel

Project text to a curved surface

Mark Bradford
      I am currently trying to project a Single line TTF onto a curvedsurface for engraving.
      Solidworks will recognize any other sketch entities (lines/splinesetc.), and will project them correctly.

I'm guessing that if I burst the text into curves, then it wouldproject properly.  Does Solidworks have this capability, orany other method in getting the same end result?

Thanks
      Mark
        • Project text to a curved surface
          Steve Calvert
          Create a sketch and then select Tools>Sketch Entities>Text... This will give you text as spilnes so you can cut or extrude. The font can be sized and changed as you wish. If I remember correctly, you'll need some kind of horz line to place the text on, I've used a centerline before.

I've never done it on a cylinder surface but I think it will work, too.

Steve
            Mark Bradford
            Thanks for the response Steve.  I am using a single line font,and therefore the isn't a closed boundary.  Also, I am notlooking to cut, or extrude any text, just simply project it to thecurved surface.  Our CAM department can then use an engravingtool, and cut single lines, rather than trying to cut a groove forthe letters.

Thanks
            Mark
              Matt Lombard
              I wasn't aware that there were any single line TTFs. I thought they would all come in as a loop. Which font are you using? If you have a single line TTF, I'd like to get a copy of it if you don't mind. Could you just attach the file to a post here?

Anyway, part of the problem may be that you are using a projected curve or a split line and trying to project multiple letters at once or a single letter with multiple loops (like A or B). The split line needs to extend all the way to the edges of the face if it is not a closed loop. The projected curve needs to have a "single open loop", so something like an S would work, but a T wouldn't.

Curves are definitely a neglected corner of the software.

As a workaround, you might try to extrude the dissolved text as surfaces, making sure the surface intersects the faces you want the projection on. Then use the Intersection Curve function (in the sketch tools) to create 3D sketch elements where the extruded surfaces touch the face of the model. Ugly hack to be sure, but I don't think you can get where you want to go using projected curves without doing them one open loop at a time.

Good luck, and report back if you would.
                Matt Lombard
                Thanks to a friendly donor, I received what seems to be a single line TTF font. I put this in SW sketcher, and ran into problems with even things that should have worked. After dissolving the sketch text which created a bunch of little line segments for each letter, you could see that the segments alternated thick, thin, thick, thin. This usually means you have overlapping lines. So I manually selected and deleted each line, and sure enough, there was another one under the first one. After the delete, everything worked out ok.

I don't know if that was just this particular font or if the same problem will happen with all TTF fonts. I think the TTF has to have a width, which was why I was surprised that there were single line TTFs. But in this case, the width is zero, although both sides of the width are still there.

Anyway, in addition to the other things I mentioned in the previous message, you've got this overlapping problem to deal with.

If you do this a lot, I would recommend drawing up your own alphabet and symbols and storing them as SW blocks. The font route isn't going to work out too well for you, I don't think. I've heard other people with this issue, and I'm not sure how they dealth with it. I don't recall there being an easy answer.

Best of luck.
                • Re: Project text to a curved surface
                  Doug Seibel

Vote this up...

Project Curves from a sketch with muliple open & closed profiles

We've been demanding this functionality for over a decade.  But we need YOUR help!