12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 11:33 AM by Sean Higgins

Normal To Shortcut Key Assignment ctrl+8 vs. alt+space

Sean Higgins

Greetings,

I am hoping someone can answer this question for me. I am running SW2013 Pro and have the installation on both my workstation and laptop. I love the shortcut key for "normal to" view on my workstation which has been automatically assigned as alt+space. This is great because the keys are right next to each other and I can tap it quick. I use it all the time. On my laptop this has been assigned as ctrl+8. This is just not as convenient and fast to do... and I am that lazy. Is there anyway to reassign the default shortcut? I can't seem to find a way to do it...

Thanks,

Sean

• Re: Normal To Shortcut Key Assignment ctrl+8 vs. alt+space
          Jan Forkovic

Hi,

RMB on any Toolbar, then Customize-Keyboard. You can reassign shortcut, or reset do defaults.

Sean Higgins

Boom. That did it... Thanks! You can also get there by going to tools (menu)>customize>keyboard (tab)>others. Perfect...

Rollin Shultz

While you are at it customizing keyboard and other settings, you may wish to consider some others. For me personally, I find I rarely used the space bar short cut to bring up the orientation choices, so I just reassigned that to normal to and along with that choice I have disabled the checkbox in the settings dialog for making a sketch automatically go normal to on creation. Sometimes I would rather be in an ISO view especially when dealing with splines and helices, but if I should wish to be normal to it's just a quick tap on the space bar.

If you haven't done it already change your right click - drag settings to have 8 rather than 4 selections. I also have shortcuts set up for rendering and perspective mode which I find helpful. It's your working/living environment, don't be afraid to play with it, even if you somehow mess something up, you can always reset everything to how it started with one click.

Glenn Schroeder

Rollin Shultz wrote:

It's your working/living environment, don't be afraid to play with it, even if you somehow mess something up, you can always reset everything to how it started with one click.

If you want to make some changes, but aren't sure you'll want to keep them, I'd advise saving your current settings with the Copy Settings Wizard (at Start > SolidWorks 2014 > Tools).  It's a good idea to do that once in a while anyway.  And save to a network, flash drive, external hard drive, etc.  It won't do much good to save to your hard drive if your computer dies.

Rollin Shultz

That's good advice and well taken. As to where to put it, I suggest hard drives are OK. If your system goes down you can't run your CAD programs anyway. I have one har drive for just Projects land Templates such as Solidworks, Autocad, Visual Studio and others and another for large files and backups. I also have a hard drive just to back up my OS so if my SSD drive for Windows goes down I can use it and not lose work. I try to keep my OS SSD drive free of space so I have a separate SSD drive that gives me quick loading of my programs. I have learned the hard way to be prepared for anything. When all else fails I have the sky drive and grabcad as backups for some items.
                          Thanks for the tip Glenn.              

Tony Cantrell

You can also add it to the "S" key tool bars.

Rollin Shultz

There's an idea. I don't use the s key much, but a few things I have added to it are indispensable, such as the tape measure and mass properties tools. I find myself reaching for the tape measure a lot especially when reverse engineering something. For assemblies I have loaded the make flexible tool and replace components tool which I don't use often so it is not on my ribbon. I don't think I have ever used the s key for sketches as I do the right-click drag continuously. I don't do my filleting much in sketch so I traded the fillet on the right-click drag wheel to three point arc which I use constantly as well. When selecting a rectangle invariably it will default to corner rectangle, but two tabs and a space bar tap gets you a centerpoint rectangle. Since my habit is to try and keep the origin at center mass I use the centerpoint rectangle most of the time.
                        I'd love to hear about other's shortcuts and most frequent use techniques. I am always looking for more good ideas especially when they save time and work.

Glenn Schroeder

Rollin Shultz wrote:

I'd love to hear about other's shortcuts and most frequent use techniques. I am always looking for more good ideas especially when they save time and work.

Here's my Mouse Gestures when in Sketches.  You mentioned often needing the centerpoint rectangle.  I use it often myself, so it's on there.  I use Mirror Entities often also, so it's the bottom one.  And the right position is set for starting and closing the sketch (I just wish it worked with 3d sketches, though I don't use them that often).

Untitled.png

Sean Higgins

I love how this seemingly simple post has received so many responses!

So I use a Logitech M570 Trackball mouse and have changed the browser back button to "esc". It is really nice for exiting out of a tool, sketch, or other operation. You can do it under the application specific settings for any Logitech mouse.

Rollin Shultz

All it takes to get responses is fro people to genuinely care about the topic and have an interest in sharing both ways. It's almost like creating a temporary small team for an ongoing small mission. I don't spend much time on this site like I do the grabcad site but that site is usually very responsive as you discuss with engineers and hobbyists around the world and nobody cares what level you are.

On the topic, interesting you mentioned the tracball, I have used the 3d connexion space mouse for years and I would hate to do without it. There are two buttons, but I rarely use them. one id for setting the mouse properties and the other is zoom to fit. When my hand is on the mouse I am performing view related functions so I really don't need its buttons as it can zoom in very quickly even set to the middle speed. It is awesome to be able to manipulate the view even while sketching a line, whereas in most cases you are locked into the sketch entity. It comes in handy for all my CAD work and seems to load up automatically for each program.

Glenn I also use the mirror entities command quite often, so I will think on that one. The escape command is very interesting, because I never thought of that one. I use escape constantly for ending sketch entites etc., but when my left hand is not on the space mouse it is on the keyboard in my habitual left thumb on alt key and left index finger on tab, since I am always alt tabbing to other programs and browsers etc while working. I have been alt tabbing for so many years it is second nature to me, and ever since Vista when they added the arrowing around inside the preview pane it is quick even when you have many resources open. It is normal for me to have five or six programs running and twenty browser tabs open. I am working light today with 12. Going between CAD and Access with the VBA window open as well as I am coding a DB in the midst of my other work, my email client, my E-Sword, Access help, a couple of Torch (chrome on steroids) browsers with around ten tabs each, sticky notes, and current Solidworks projects folder as well as Solidworks. How do I get anything done?

Thanks all for you input.

Sean Higgins

Rollin Shultz wrote:

All it takes to get responses is fro people to genuinely care about the topic and have an interest in sharing both ways. It's almost like creating a temporary small team for an ongoing small mission. I don't spend much time on this site like I do the grabcad site but that site is usually very responsive as you discuss with engineers and hobbyists around the world and nobody cares what level you are.

Did you hear that Stratasys bought GrabCAD? No doubt to control the largest repository of downloadable CAD models by combining with Thingiverse (which they also own). After my experience with Makerbot, post acquisition by Stratasys, I am not to thrilled with the move. We will see how long it takes for it to be absorbed into Thingiverse...

Tony Cantrell

You can use the "A" key to toggle options in a sketch for rectangles and circles.