1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 21, 2014 2:09 PM by John Lhuillier

How do you link a dimension in a part to a B.O.M. column in an assembly?

Todd Fehr

I am trying to create a part/B.O.M. that I can insert into an assembly & in that part have predetermine dimensions that I want to populate a B.O.M. column in an assembly drawing.

An simple example of this is that I insert a bolt into an assembly & I then determine I want to change the length to something different.  I want to be able to not create another configuration or change the attribute in my configuration properties area, but to have change of the length & update a column in my assembly B.O.M. update to the new length.

I am pretty sure solidworks can do this I just forgot what the steps are.

Thank you.

• Re: How do you link a dimension in a part to a B.O.M. column in an assembly?
          John Lhuillier

What we do for this is to have a custom property within the part model. We have 2 sketches that give us the overall stock size of a part for filling in the size field in the assy BOM. You would then have to create the link within the BOM to link it to the custom property within the part model. If you double pick on the top row of the column in the BOM it will allow you to change the column type to be a custom propery. You then choose the custom property you want to use for that column.