14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2016 10:01 AM by Ricardo Talbot

PDM and Automation

James Guilford

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to PDM so apologize my ignorance in advance. I have a few questions in regards to data managements on SW.

I have been assigned to ease the process of manually entering and editing data sheets on excel by incorporating an automated script so that  when someone changes a part or assembly on Solidworks it would automatically update the data base in different departments. ( Vendors too)

I was reading the forums that this could be done using MSMQ as a medium once a xml file is created, and emailed the pdf file to the correspondence individual. However, I would like to update these files and populate an excel or word file.

I appreciate your help .

Thanks

James

• Re: PDM and Automation
            Jeremiah Davis

Hello James,

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but it sounds like you are looking for some sort of method to export things like item masters into an Excel or XML document that can be published to something like an ERP system?

If so, this should be easy with some of the existing methods that exist, including the built in XML export functionality or the "Generate Parameter File" in dispatch.

James Guilford

Hello Jeremiah,

Thanks for your response. I'm trying to export multilayer BOM,drawing name and number and engineering change notices in an excel file. Furthermore, I would like to have the excel file updates when changes are made to any parts or assemblies.

My goal is to then import the xml or excel file into Netsuite.

Thank you for your help.

James Guilford

I pretty Much need all those information in one signle excel or xml file.

Jeff Sweeney

The concern I have is what happens if I have the Excel file open (locking the file) and you make an update? Your application is going to have to have a queue process. ...and those add to the cost!

If you want to use Excel I would consider a macro, the user starts the Excel macro and it pulls the data from EPDM....but how much data are we talking about, importing the entire vault or just a single project?

Does Netsuite have an API? Seems like you are using this XML/Excel file just as a holding tank, can you go straight to Netsuite ?

James Guilford

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your response.

"The concern I have is what happens if I have the Excel file open (locking the file) and you make an update? Your application is going to have to have a queue process. ...and those add to the cost"

Interesting point, I never thought of that. Would that be same in XML?\

Are there any ways to highlight the changes that are made in each revision in the excel or xml document ? ( color coding, rev edition )

"If you want to use Excel I would consider a macro, the user starts the Excel macro and it pulls the data from EPDM....but how much data are we talking about, importing the entire vault or just a single project?"

It would be a single project including all the parts and assemblies + description of each part/assembly - part sub numbers, revision number and start-end of each part.

Does Netsuite have an API? Seems like you are using this XML/Excel file just as a holding tank, can you go straight to Netsuite ?

Netsuite has API, But I have limited knowledge of programming, therefore, I prefer to use XML or Excel as a data bank.

The problem we are having with  NetSuite is that every time a part is updated by the engineering team, operations needs to manually enter that in Netsuite in a structured format, and I have been assigned to automate this process.

Any suggestions,

Thanks

Jeff Sweeney

If you want this data [re]published every time you make a change, you’re probably looking at some API. The only automatic publication of XML files done out of the box for EPDM is via a workflow transition….and even that is unlikely to be able to be directly imported into Netsuite without some customization.

James Guilford

I have a hard time to located any documentation of Netsuite API to guide me how to make a bridge between EPDM and Netsuite. I understand that I can be using the workflow diagram to rebulish/publish XML file once the part/assembly is released. However, Here comes the question of how to push that file in Netsuite. Or how to Netsuite would be able to pull in those information. Any one have had any experiences with Netsuite API ?

Any other ways you suggest I could be doing this ?

James Guilford

Update :

So I have managed to find some documentation on Netsuite. This could be done through NetSuite's API to import the files automatically while in the folder directory. However, you should upload the file manually in that folder inorder for it to get uploaded. Still working to see if there are any other alternatives.

James Guilford

and the folder is a web based folder within NetSuite

Jonathan Gamble

Hi James,

We have both Netsuite and Solidworks EPDM.  We have tested being able to export data from EPDM to Netsuite, but are not using it automatically.  The way we did it was to create an excel file from PDM and save that in a network shared folder, which was then imported by Netsuite.  It worked, but we haven't automated it. I will have to check with my colleague to see exactly how it was done. The eventual goal is to have this happen automatically during the engineering change workflow, but I know there were some "issues" which have prevented us from "throwing the switch" yet; like Netsuite won't accept a record if there is a required field (in Netsuite) that is left blank in the import document.

Ricardo Talbot

You may also want to take a close look at Agni Link, which greatly helps automate the transfer of BoMs from CAD/DPM/PLM applications to many ERP systems.  We are currently putting the finishing touch to a NetSuite connector, and are accepting applications for Beta Testers.

Hope this helps,

Ricardo Talbot
                              Elmo Solutions Inc.