2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2014 11:00 AM by Jeremy Feist

How to use an assembly to make a feature?

Arthur Loginow

I have a part A and a part B, inside the assembly A, both are concentric cylinders, the cylinder B is the outer cylinder and the cylinder A es the inner cylinder, the cylinder B has a hole and I want to use that hole as a guide to make a hole in A (I want both holes to be concentric), I would like to do this but editing the part A only, I know I can make a sketch at the assembly and create the hole but I am trying to do it in such a way that I edit the part A directly using the assembly (The part B hole) as a reference. (If needed I will include pictures but I think my doubt it is pretty straight forward) 

• Re: How to use an assembly to make a feature?
          Adrian Williams

Hi Arthur,

Mate the sketch plane of the hole in part B with a plane of part A that you want the hole to be on.

Make the sketch visible.

Click on part a then edit part, click on the plane you want to sketch on then highlight the sketch entity in part B.

Click on convert entities to copy the sketch into part A to make your hole.

When you rebuild this assembly the hole in part A will change as you alter the sketch in part B.

• Re: How to use an assembly to make a feature?
            Jeremy Feist

in assembly A, select part A and invoke the edit part command (it is in the command manager, the pop-up in-context toolbar, and in the right click menu). part B should now be transparent and you can add features to part A, referencing part B or anything else in the assembly.

1 person found this helpful