4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2015 2:44 AM by Lene Bach Madsen

Smart dimension changing line dimension in wrong direction

Jacob Murray

So I have simply sketched a circle, then sketched a line from the center of the circle out to a random point. Then I used Smart Dimension to change the length of the line, and it moves the circle I have drawn! This seems really counter intuitive. I have read the other posts but they don't make sense as the contain way too many steps to simply dimension a line in the opposite direction.

Does anyone know how I can make my circle the fixed point (without having to use the fix option)

Thanks,

Jacob

• Re: Smart dimension changing line dimension in wrong direction
          Jamil Snead

When I try to duplicate the behavior you describe the circle stays in place however I do it. Right now I am on SW2014 SP3.0, what version are you on? Maybe they improved the behavior after your version.

Jacob Murray

Yeah I'm not sure how to find what service pack I have but it is 2014. I have just been fixing my circle but I don't think one should have to as it seems very counter-intuitive.

Jamil Snead

Sorry I didn't do a thorough test earlier. After more experimentation it appears that when neither end of a line is fully constrained and you change the length, SW will always move the right-most end, and if the line is vertical it will move the top end. It doesn't care if there are any other entities attached to either end. When I tried it before I happened to draw my line out to the right of the circle, and so the circle stayed in place, but if the line comes out to the left of the circle then the circle will move when the dimension is changed.

If you care about the position of the circle then you should fully constrain it anyway, preferably with dimensions and relations or as a last resort with fix as you did.

Lene Bach Madsen

I have this same problem, I have a squared extruded boss. I want to make a cut on it, and have started by placing two lines with a 45 degree angle between. The first line I started at the very corner of the boss and the second line is started in the endpoint of the first line. It makes absolutely no sense that it would move both line away from where the first is started, only because it moves the changes to the right like you explained. It seems very much work having to constrain everything and not just have the option to change the direction. I have worked a bit in other CAD software and some simply have a small arror at each end of the line and you can easily just pick the end you want to change.

Is constraining really the way to do it? Seems like a lot of work for something this simple?