4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 4:14 PM by Jerry Steiger

Best method of surfacing a wing tip

John Schmidli

You would thick creating a surface model of a wing would be fairly easy but where I have become unstuck is the wing tip. Particularly where the leading edge airfoil curves around and then blends into the curve on the tip. The way I have done it, I end up with a puckered surface in the corner. I've then trimmed away the bad surface area and patched it. It sort of works but is not as good as I would like. These surfaces are going to end up cut into moulds where any inconsistencies will become obvious in the mirror polish.

Has anybody got an idea of the best way to do this? I've been using SW since 98 but have only recently been thrown in the deep end of surfacing.

I've attached a typical example if anybody would like to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks in anticipation.

John

• Re: Best method of surfacing a wing tip
          Tom dunn

I tried to open your file to help, but I am on 2013 still, darn it all. Tom

Mark Biasotti

without opening your file (I too am on 2013 at home here) what most would do is to create a surface for the wing from a series of boundary profiles. Then on the tip use a fill surface with tangent boundaries and possibly a spline constraint curve.

Edit - had a look at your file. Looks like everything up to the wingtip looks great.  I would not use a boundary or loft to do the end caps of  your wingtip because using a boundary or loft with profiles (or curve 1st or 2nd) connecting at one end results in a degenerate vertices (see curvature display attached.) In stead use a fill surface which is a better solution for 3 sided or 5> sided surfaces.

Mark

Jamil Snead

I think a lofted surface might be better than a boundary surface for that particular portion. See my attached file. The only weird thing is that I couldn't get the face tangency to work for the edge bordering the wing tip, it caused the surface to go funky. But maybe even without that tangency setting it might be good enough.

wingtip.PNG

Jerry Steiger

John,

I didn't open your part (still on 2010), but I would be inclined to agree with Mark; use a Fill with a Constraint Curve.

I also agree with Jamil's comment that a Loft might work better than a Boundary and that leaving off the Tangency actually makes a better transition. Boundary Surfaces are generally better than Lofts, but every once in a while I run into a case where a Loft looks better. And I have also run into cases where a Tangent setting makes a smoother transition than a Curvature Continuous setting or no constraint is better than a Tangent setting. From the zebra stripes, I would expect Jamil's version to be good enough, even with a very smooth finish.

Jerry S.