7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2015 11:19 AM by Mark Olsen

flexible assemblies

Brett Esseltine

I am trying to create an assembly and within this assembly I have a sub-assembly that I am trying to make flexible. However when I select flexible the sub assembly breaks,for some reason the sub-assembly ( which has 4 configurations) suddenly un-suppresses all the mates and thus causing numerous errors. When switched back to Rigid everything is happy again. What I am doing wrong here? Oh I am using 2014

• Re: flexible assemblies
          Kelvin Lamport

When opened separately do the configs in the sub-assy work correctly?

When mated to the upper level assy, is the sub-assy mated only via it's top level ref planes?

Brett Esseltine

Yes when opened separately the sub-assembly works correctly. As far as mates go, I have tried several scenarios and I have even deleted all the mates in the top level assembly and this still happens when it isn't mated to anything in the top level. I also have two instances of this sub assembly in the top level and one them is actually working( two different configurations) Very confused

Mark Kaiser

Two of the same sub assemblies both set to flexible in a top level assembly?  You may be asking to much of SW.  Try saving one of the subs as a new file, and insert it back in.  I'm not even sure if the subs were different configs in the same file, if you could set them both to flexible in a top level assembly.

Brett Esseltine

yeah I tried this already, no luck. I have been coming to the same conclusion, that I am asking too much from SW, I have since left only one flexible. Flexible assemblies are very useful but can really cause some headaches. I am done with this one and moving on. I may attempt this again someday, just not today. thank you for your input

Mark Kaiser

I'm assuming you have a lot of mates between the sub assembly and parts in the final assembly.  Here's how I'd tackle this one.  Suppress all mates between the sub assembly and top level parts.  Make your sub assembly flexible.  Unsuppress mates one at a time. 

It's in your mating scheme somewhere.  If the above steps don't help, delete the sub assembly from the top level, re-insert it, and before adding any new mates, make your sub flexible.

Mark Olsen

I've been having the same issue.  It isn't in the mating scheme.  When you insert multiple instances of a subassembly into a top level assembly and the subassembly has multiple configurations with suppressed mates in some configurations, opening the top level assembly will result in the mates being unsupressed in the top level assembly, even though they are suppressed in the subassembly.  Very frustrating.  Nothing seems to fix it.