5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2014 8:27 AM by Ian Hogg

SW 2013 crashes all the time

N. V

Hello all,

I've been having problems for the last couple of weeks; my SW 2013 crashes all the time.

Not just a couple of times a day, but sometimes it gets up to 25 times a day.

It does not happen with a specific action, just randomly. Even when I'm away from my keyboard and I come back 3 minutes later, it has crashed.

Some amounts to have an idea:

dateamount of crashesvarieties of errorstype of error
      8/28/2014151SW has stopped working, restart SW
      8/29/2014131SW has stopped working, restart SW
      8/31/2014 re-installed SW (uninstall and install, no repair)
      9/2/2014251SW has stopped working, restart SW
      9/3/201482SW has stopped working, restart SW and windows gave an error
      9/4/2014131Crashes, even when I'm not working on the computer
      9/5/2014121Crashes, even when I'm not working on the computer and does not open new documents, only shows one
      9/9/201431Crashes, even when I'm not working on the computer and does not open new documents, only shows one

These are just the amounts I logged, the real numbers are higher.

This is the error I get;

Does anyone have an idea on what the cause can be?

Does my hardware cause it or is it an error in the software or registry?

Processor:          i3-2100 (runs at 30% max)

RAM:                  4 GB  (Does not get reached)

Video:                 Intel HD (dont know the type)

Thanks,

NV

• Re: SW 2013 crashes all the time
          Jeff Holliday

I know this has been used as an explanation many times in this forum, but the video card and driver could be a major cause for your problems. It would be helpful if you could find out what type and driver is being used. Also, Try running SolidWorks RX diagnostics to see what problems it may find with your system/setup.

N. V

Just looked inside the PC; the video card is integrated into the motherboard, will try to download the driver for the motherboard (intel H61)

Rx did not find anything.

thanks

Kelvin Lamport

I seriously doubt an updated driver for the integrated card will help You need to get a discrete card, preferably an nVidia Quadro or AMD FirePro.

Ian Worrall

Actually, your graphics are integrated with the CPU, only the unimportant parts are on the motherboard.

Your CPU includes Intel HD2000 graphics, SW is certified only for Intel's P4500 & P4600 graphics.

As Kevin says, you'd be much better served by getting a "proper" graphics card.

Ian Hogg

If you are ever in doubt of system requirements to run SolidWorks, check out the system requirements page:

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html

As Kelvin and Ian mention, you need a proper graphics card that is tailored for CAD systems and OpenGL graphics.

One other thing to keep in mind, is that some laptops come with dual graphics cards (e.g. Intel HD and NVIDIA). Make sure to set either the Bios to use the NVIDIA card or under the NVIDIA 3D program settings ensure SolidWorks uses the NVIDIA card. While most laptops are meant to intelligent switch from the onboard graphics to the added card, I have seen issues where this causes crashes. Yet after forcing use of the NVIDIA card for the program, I don't have the same  instability.

I am not sure of the scope of what you are intending to build in SolidWorks, but an i3 processor and 4Gb of memory is going to limit your abilities from speed and size of the model since the OS consumes a fair chunk of that memory.