3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2014 3:19 PM by Jerry Steiger

Feature failed to rebuild after CTRL+Q

Kevin De Smet

When I create a Boundary Surface the feature fails to rebuild after hitting CTRL+Q. Since I'm not changing anything to the model--and the feature works the first time around. I am stumped for an answer!

Anybody have any suggestions or ideas? The release is Solidworks 2014 SP4.0

UPDATE: When I export the model as a Parasolid and import it back in. Then create the new Boundary surface the feature stays intact.

This leads me to believe the regeneration of earlier features (such as Split Lines and Trim Surfaces) are causing the edge ID's to change, and make the subsequent features go haywire.

I'll stick to the workaround of exporting the model when features start failing, I guess...

1. Start a new Boundary Surface

001.JPG

2. Right-click and use the SelectionManager to grab multiple edges

002.jpg

3. Get the first Group into the Selection 1 box

003.jpg

4. Right-click for the SelectionManager a second time

004.jpg

5. See the interactive preview for the surface appear

005.jpg

6. Drag the second group's left connector to limit the surface

006.jpg

7. Assign Tangency to Face boundary constraints to both edge groups

007.jpg

8. Accept the feature with the Green check

008.jpg

9. Press CTRL+Q and the Boundary feature just created fails to rebuild

009.jpg

10. The result is loneliness, with a dash of desperation

010.jpg

• Re: Feature failed to rebuild after CTRL+Q
          Jerry Steiger

Kevin,

Going through the Parasolid Export-Import merry-go-round seems like an awfully painful way to keep going.

I wonder if the problem has to do with dragging the connector. Is there any way to definitely pin down the end of your Boundary Surface?

Another likely possibility is that the Tangency condition is causing problems. I wonder if adding curves to the two ends for Direction 2 might help. (Although my experience is that they are more likely to cause a failure than to remove one.)

Jerry S.

Kevin De Smet

There are about 5 holes I need to chamfer and fillet like this, and some others went fine and they too have dynamically trimmed back end connectors on some of the surfaces.

Thing is that back in the day I made a similar model in Solidworks 2009 and I never had this kind of problem!

It really seems like a regression of some kind. Maybe when they introduced split lines over multiple surfaces and spline on surface over multiple surfaces. These two alone help me a lot compared to the 2009 release, but I wonder if it's messing up the parametrics.

Jerry Steiger

Kevin,

You could very well be right. It does seem like SW progresses in the old "two steps forward, one step back" routine, sometimes by the "one step forward, two steps back".

I forgot to ask if you checked whether multiple rebuilds all fail. I ran into some cases many versions ago where a feature would cycle through fail-work-fail-work or even one where it went fail-fail-work-fail-fail-work.

Jerry S.