45 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2014 10:43 AM by Bob Bob

Crashy buggy and all around hokey SW 2014.

Brien Sharp

Been running solidworks 2014 since this spring. In part sketch mode the thing is pretty darn buggy in just about everything. In assembly mode the thing will get so boggled up with constraints it says there are errors when there isn't. If you save the assembly then reopen it they are gone. Not since 1999 have cursed at my computer screen so much as I have in the past year. First I thought it was my graphics card so I upgraded to a Quatro 6000. No change other than I can run faster into an error. Is there an update in the works for 2014? I understand there are always bug's in software but this is just ridiculous.  

• Re: Crashy buggy and all around hokey SW 2014.
          Kelvin Lamport

SP Release Schedule.png

SW15 is due to be launched tomorrow, I believe.

William Monette

Amen!  I am running 2014 SP4 and still tripping bugs in the basic features.  Don't worry about the 2015 version and get the bugs fixed in what we have.

Dick Smith

They always blame the graphics card / driver...

Kelvin Lamport

Brien,

If you list some of the problems you are experiencing, someone here may be able to offer a solution, or a workaround if it's truly a bug.

Have you made your VAR aware of the problems you are having?

Brien Sharp

I am not sure were to start really so I will try and keep a log of them as I go along. I haven't really had the time to keep track of all of them. I believe some of them are GPU related and others just seem like bad memory pointers.

Probably the most frustrating is the assembly constrains and the way they seem to accrue some sort of error and things will get very flaky until you shut down Solidworks and restart it. It makes me believe there are a few dynamic memory allocations associated with functions that are not getting flushed correctly "problem in program code". I think someone needs to take a look at the code and fix up some of the dynamic memory housekeeping.

"Yes You Solidworks Developer! I want you to go thru every possible scenario that a user could possibly do and make sure it will work and execute without leaving memory blocks just hanging there" "That is your job as a programmer and software developer" "Fix it" <- (you may not understand this unless you know a little computer programming)

The next most frustrating is edge selection in drawings, sketches. I could go on for days about this subject. I will have to create a list and go from there. I am not sure if a lot of this is a GPU related problem or not so I will keep my rants to a minimum until I create a list and go from there.

I could go on and on about a host of other things but would settle for now just being able to do the above two things without some sort of problem.            

Jeff Holliday

There are many of us who find the software quite helpful/capable while at the same time not employed by SW (no vested interest). Most of us are also quite willing to provide help as requested to try to solve problems. That is really the purpose of a "discussion" forum and where most of the benefits can be found.

Jay Andrews

Run assembly expert under the tools menu.

I sympathize, sometimes it's frustrating when the software isn't cooperating.  I'll tell you this though, sometimes it IS the software and often times it's the old garbage in garbage out.  What I mean is if you run assembly expert, often times it points things out that you may have not known could greatly slow down your computer.  One huge one that gets me sometimes is if a bunch of parts in the assembly are not saved to the latest version, that seems to really affect 2014.

Also under menu, tools, options, system options tab, performance category, make sure that "Verification on rebuild (enable advanced body checking)" is unchecked.  This one is a huge slow down if it's checked, I learned the hard way years ago.

Jay Andrews

Sounds good.

Keep in mind, my point wasn't to make sure models are latest version, it was to use assembly expert to check for many issues, of which version is just one of many.

Jay Andrews

I had another thing slowing me down recently.  I had a complex billet machined design part that I was redesigning.  I had inserted the old part into the new part as the first feature then hid it, so I could view it overlaid when I wanted, to compare old vs. new geometry.  It was acting very slow.  I had sort of forgotten I had the old part in there.  I was getting frustrated at the slow behavior and thought of that.  So I suppressed the insert part feature instead of just hiding the body.  This made a huge difference in computer speed.  So the way in which the software gets applied can make a huge difference.

Another thing to consider is curvature detail settings in the options.

There was another one around here, a legacy assembly that was choking people's computers, getting lots of complaints about junk computers etc..  I went to the complainers computer, suppressed one offending feature (OD contour on a solenoid coil) in the entire assembly and it was like night and day from choking/dying slow to blazing fast.  BTW the complainer was let go not too long after oops :-)

Jeff Holliday

Good points Jay. A suppressed feature does not get regenerated/recalculated like a hidden part does and certain features can definitely "gobble" time. You can run "tools/feature statistics" to get an idea of the percentage of total time that each feature takes. This can also show how relocating the feature order can impact performance. Also, having transparent parts can add to the time. Learning how to "play" a system can make a big difference.

Brien Sharp

I have a custom built Core i7 3.4 GHZ machine with 16GB Ram and a Quadro 6000 6GB Card and Solid state drives. I have a gigabit network and the Cad server is about five feet from my workstation and I am the only user. I don't have any issues with speed and everything is very snappy.

Things did go better today with the "enable advanced body checking" turned off. The only time it got a little flaky was when I Isolated a few parts in an assembly and was working in context redesigning a part. As I changed the sketch I could see the assembly constraints breaking in the assembly tree. This is not really a problem but something to keep in mind. Once the part was finished and the isolate un-isolated I deleted the offending constraint and everything fell into place with the exception of about a dozen constraints that really had nothing to do with what I was working on. I suppressed the part I was working on and did a rebuild and the offending constraints were happy. I then un-supressed the part and did a rebuild and everything was fine?????? I also ran assembly expert and it gave all green checks. I guess I should have ran assembly expert when the constraints were complaining to see what it had to say.         

Brien Sharp

Trying to measure length of part. How in the world could it figure that is the max distance? Come On! Am I missing something?

max-distance.jpg

Bob Bob

Here's my two cents worth.

SW can stick 2014 where the sun does not shine.

SW should give all of use 2015 for free.

If 2015 is as bad as 2014 it might be Inventor for me.

I wish Autodesk would have bought SW in stead of DS.

If I gave my customer machines that worked like 2014 does I'd be flipen burgers or sweeping floors.

If I type anything else I'll be swearing dASSault.

Kelvin Lamport

Had a rough day, Bob?
                                      Instead of wasting space & time ranting, try starting a new thread explaining some of the problems you are experiencing so that people can offer solutions.

A good start would be to list your system specs in your profile.

Bob Bob

No Kevin I am not having a bad day.

As far as the list you asked for it would be to long and would be to late to post.

As far as the computers I use go they are better and faster than most unless you have a 8000.00 to 10000.00 BOXX computer and they ran 2013 with no problems.

I guess you are just one of the Solidwoks users that have no complaints no matter what they put out or you get paid by the hour then it does not matter how long it take to get something done.

I not happy when I don't get what I paid for are you (if you have your own copy)?

Kelvin Lamport

As far as the list you asked for it would be to long and would be to late to post.

So just start with a couple of the worst ones ... and it's only too late if you've already decided to pull the plug on SW even if simple solutions exist.

As far as the computers I use go they are better and faster than most unless you have a 8000.00 to 10000.00 BOXX computer and they ran 2013 with no problems.

The best computer in the world could be useless if it has even one conflicting component (hardware or software) installed.

I guess you are just one of the Solidwoks users that have no complaints no matter what they put out or you get paid by the hour then it does not matter how long it take to get something done.

I'm not a heavy duty power user creating large complex parts or assy, but I have had plenty of complaints, but instead of just ranting about them, I ask questions and usually have them resolved.

I'm salaried but still have to produce results.

I not happy when I don't get what I paid for are you (if you have your own copy)?

I don't have my own copy, but if I did I would be even more driven to ask questions & get things fixed. Simply complaining without giving information of what the problem is, resolves nothing.

Bob Bob

I did not start thread I just added to it.

If it were not for the emails I get with this new forum format I would not have known this thread was started, I didn't go looking for it.

When I first loaded sw2014 I had problems with IE 11 my VAR had someone from SW, and myself do a online meeting, the computer was the first thing we looked at.

No problems with it, in fact they were impressed it was the first workstation they had seen using a PCIe hard drive.

I do draw very complex fixtures and I just don't have the time to stop, post, and wait for an answer that most likely does not exist, just work around it.

In June of this year I was working with a designer using Inventor and to be honest I was very impressed, Autodesk has come a long way with it, his company has several seat of Solidworks but all of their designers prefer Inventor and after sitting down behind one of their workstation I see why.

So since I am not on the clock or salaried, I have to get back to worked, I just didn't like your sarcastic comments.

SW2014 is a bad version as your first comment states, plain and simple.

Kelvin Lamport

No sarcasm was intended. Sorry you took it that way.

SW2014 is a bad version as your first comment states

Which comment was that?  I believe SW14 is one of the better versions ... especially when compared to SW08.

Bob Bob

Service pak release schedule what was your point?

It seems to me most of people who added comments to this post are not happy with SW 2014.

I guess you have to work in a 300 to 400 meg file to know how bad this version is.

Kelvin Lamport

Service pak release schedule what was your point?

The OP (Brien Sharp) asked for the service pack schedule. I obliged him by posting it.

Been running solidworks 2014 since this spring. In part sketch mode the thing is pretty darn buggy in just about everything. In assembly mode the thing will get so boggled up with constraints it says there are errors when there isn't. If you save the assembly then reopen it they are gone. Not since 1999 have cursed at my computer screen so much as I have in the past year. First I thought it was my graphics card so I upgraded to a Quatro 6000. No change other than I can run faster into an error. Is there an update in the works for 2014? I understand there are always bug's in software but this is just ridiculous. 

Brien Sharp

I would agree with you 10,000% on the improvements to Inventor. I learned Inventor back in 2002 at Suny Morrisville. Back then the computers were slow and Inventor was just as buggy as SW 2014. But over the years it just got better and better. I used it mainly for fixture, machine and hydraulic system design. I am talking huge assemblies in the 10K plus part range. Seriously and this is no joke I could do twice the amount of work in Inventor in the same amount of time using Solidworks. I am no complete newbie at Solidworks ether. I learned Solidworks using version 2002. To be honest I think I would take SW 2002 over this version any day but that is beside the point. Now that I work on my own I bought my own copy of SW because so many of my customers use it and figured it would be an added benefit but at this point the cost is not outweighing that benefit. What bothers me the most is all the little bugs and flaky stuff it does. Inventor used to do the same stuff over ten years ago. SW 2014 brings me back ten years to those days.

They seriously need to port SW to DirectX and ditch the buggy crappy old school OpenGL junk. I think if they did this not only would it bring the code more up to date with the current times it would allow for greater flexibility in the UI design especially command thread wise. One instance would be why cant you measure anything with a command open? This should be a separate command thread! I think most of these old school problems are do to old junk code that they need to spend some of there profits on and fix. I really like the SW community and the following that SW has. It just seems to me like SW is just riding the gravy train a little to long. I would like for Solidworks to be the best 3D CAD software out but at this point it is far far from that. I know that sales need to be made to impress the investors and sales to the masses is were the "retail" big bucks are. Sure a piece of crappy old school tech would make any Joe off the street happy that just wants to hammer out a model of his dream widget on his own. But if you are trying to do serious engineering and stay at the forefront of industry it is a little harder to do that with a stone hammer.

Now that is a rant!                

Brien Sharp

One interesting crash today as I was working in an assembly. Everything was going along great and then I changed the prox switch sub assembly to flexible. Solidworks just hung in what seemed like a loop. I could hear my processor fan running faster so I checked the SW process and it was running 14% usage. I waited for about five minutes and then confirmed the window to end the task. If this is not bad code I don't know what is.

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Not sure why it has the tendency to just up and crash or hang doing random things but it gets old.

Bob Bob

Brien

I know what your talking about. On average these ass'y I am working on are about 200 to 300 meg I spend more time watching the blue circle spin than I do drawing sometimes. It's really bad when you take the model to 2D I'll have to buy another seat and work on another job while the 2D drawing is updating.

We need a power user forum you have to upload a minimum of 100 meg file to join. These user who like this version must be drawing flat washers or their on the clock

and it does not matter how long it takes. It's not like my computer is slow the PCIE hard drive is reading 2150MB/sc and writing 1900MB/sc. I am seeing more and more Inventor users I looked into updating my Acad 2004 license and the price is right 4500.00 for Inventor 2015 and AutoCAD 2015 with a service contract of less than half of SolidWorks. If dASSault does not wake up and smell the coffee Autodesk will make  my decision for me when I am asked to deliver in Inventor or work for someone else than I have no choice.  

Brien Sharp

I did some work in a small company last fall using SW 2013 and really didn't think that version was any better if not worse than this one. I updated my graphics driver yesterday afternoon and it was supposed to fix some issues with Solidworks. I will see how it goes.

The autodesk suite is a little more expensive but I think you really do get more for your money. Two things that I really liked was that Inventor gives you photo rendering with the base package. I used to use this a lot creating presentations and manuals. Solidworks want's you to shell out another couple thousand for that. You also get AutoCad that probably 98% of company's still use for technical drawing archiving including ones that use Solidworks. Looking forward at this point I am leaning toward adesk for in house in the spring unless I say to heck with both of them and the "yearly versions" buy a Catia license and be done with it for five to ten years. I look at CAD as a tool and if I had a wrench that broke every time I used it the thing would take an air born ride into the scrap bin and I would buy a better one.     

Jeff Holliday

I have to start off by saying that I truly hope that you and Bob manage to get your many problems solved even if it means changing Software. If I were experiencing the number of problems you both have, I agree that I would have looked for something more reliable. I also suspect that the reason for this being primarily a 2-person thread is that a good number more SW users find it very beneficial to use. It should be pointed out that the cost to upgrade from the standard SW to Professional is $1600 vs "a couple thousand" and that there are several other features added for that price instead of just photo rendering. I agree that the majority of 2-D drawings are done using ACAD but I doubt that it is 98%. CAD is a tool. If you require a better or more capable tool than SW, I hope you find one to your liking. Until then, please ask questions that we can help you with. I will do my best to do so.

Bob Bob

Jeff all I am saying is there are problems with SW 2014 more than any other version than I have used and I go back to SW 1998.

I can and do make it work.

As far as Inventor goes it just works better when you are design machines plain and simple.

I always thought SolidWorks is at its best when doing product work where you can control the whole design.

At least you can reply without being sarcastic or rude.

Jay Andrews

Too bad the rest of us users aren't as smart as you guys to realize how bad the software is unusable, because in our ignorance we are able to be extremely creative and productive using the software.  Must be similar to Wile E. Coyote when he runs off the cliff before he falls.  I guess ignorance is productivity.  Because it can't be the opposite that you guys are just  making models in the manner that confuses the computer by going through mathematical mazes from a to b rather than a straight line.  How do I know?  Because I've used poor modeling techniques plenty of times, and the performance suffers hugely, but I've also made very complicated models, more intelligently, and the software cuts through it like my taste buds through a frosty beer.  Sure, the max measuring feature is goofy these days, sort of like for a few versions the rotate snapping in the triad didn't work properly.  It's software, bugs happen.  Could it be better?  Yes.  Are there better softwares out there?  Yes.  Are they a little to a lot more expensive than SW?  Yes.

Honestly, lots I like better about Inventor, example the shortcut keys setup and the standards setup, etc..  But to get all whiney that the software is unusable just shows your piss poor attitudes and ignorance.  Trust me, I know because I've been there too on bad days.  But get over it and learn to use it without making yourself miserable, like most everybody else on here does.

Bob Bob

It sounds to me like your the super genius I never implied you were a idiot all I wrote was my assembly models are very big.

The fact that the model is big is not my doing, it's the part that the fixture has to accommodate.

The  step or x_t files are massive but that's nothing new what is new is SW 2014.

Remove the part and the file size is greatly reduced and no more problems.

So since you are so creative could you enlighten me on how to fixture a part without the part?

But to get all whiney that the software is unusable just shows your piss poor attitudes and ignorance.

This has to be the stupidest comment I have read yet regarding this thread.

Only someone that has a bad attitude and is ignorant would write it.

Brien Sharp

I don't think ether of us said that the software was unusable. Sucks yes but not unusable. Real engineers are resourceful and can make anything work. I think Solidworks needs to hire a few. "making models in the manner that confuses the computer by going through mathematical mazes from a to b rather than a straight line" Wouldn't a to b be a strait line? Confuse the computer? Realy!!!! LOL OK. You do realize the computer is not sentient don't you. To confuse something would mean it has sentience and as far as I know computers just do what they are told and if they don't work the way you expect it to it is do to bad programming. Computers are just big calculators that's all. I have shown and explained multiple issues do to bad code and poor programming. I can continue to add to the list. I know how to program and how to debug and there is bad almost amateur mistakes in SW. It amazes me that the Solidworks sheep would follow so blindly. If I could master that skill of sheep herding I would be sipping tea with Bill Gates. Anyway I can tell you one persons productivity is not the same as another as some are inherently more productive than others. I design pretty much anything. I might rip out a cup holder or a circuit board in between engineering a car lift and a customized machine. I am not setting at a cubical in an office of twenty draftsman and engineers only working on one specific task. I am more like a leonardo da vinci in the twenty first century. I do a little of everything.

The real question however is your comment and it was said by Jeff as well was "there are many others that don't seem to have a problem with it". If you only judge progress by your followings size by the time you realize you made a huge mistake your loss is proportional to it. That is a mathematical fact!

If an argument cant stand the course of debate how can it stand?

I really didn't start this thread to induce a debate or banter with sheep. I started it with the hopes of possible resolve in the next batch of fixes. I may just be one lowly customer in the see of sheep that only buys one license but for me it is a pretty big investment. I purchased the software to perform as a $4000 dollar piece of software should not like a $100 peace of share ware. A few bug's is an understatement! If I had the time and Solidworks money I would fix them all.

I did see an improvement with the new graphics driver. Thing's did run a bit smoother working in assembly's graphical wise but the issues with in process modeling and it's strange behavior with constraints is still the same. I really wanted to capture a video of it and post it to the board but I really just didn't have the time. Basically I was working with a sub assembly similar to what I explained before. I opened the sub assembly from within the main assembly. I changed the material on one of the parts and saved it. I closed that part and saved the sub assembly. In the main assembly it broke almost all the constraints. I did not save the main assembly and just closed it. I reopened it and the constraints were fine. Now mind you if the assembly's were simple little dozen and a half part assemblies it would not be that big of a deal but once they get a lot bigger and you have to wait for everything to reopen when you are in the middle of design it gets irritating to say the least. It is at this time you start questioning your capital expense.                      

Brien Sharp

"But get over it and learn to use it without making yourself miserable, like most everybody else on here does."

Yep I think I found the answer to all our problems! Ignorance is bliss aint it!

Peter De Vlieger

"But get over it and learn to use it without making yourself miserable, like most everybody else on here does."

Or in other words, learn to live with it. So what that the product doesn't do what it should be doing just shut up and keep soldiering on and keep paying for 'improvements' that for the most part you're not only not interested in but won't ever use.

(See Sustainability , if you look at the amount of posts, the amount of questions, the amount of answers to those question it must certainly be that the Sustainability add-in has no issues nor bugs  </sarcasm>)

For me SW 14 SP4 works decently and stable enough for what I have to do but even so, I still curse the failures and faults inherent in the program.

I can sympathize with Brien and Bob. I know what it is to want to do ones job and instead having to deal with crashes, bugs and spending more time waiting on SW then actually being able to design/draft. If we don't grumble, complain, nag then it might not help but one it will make us feel better and two it just might stir someone somewhere that actual can fix some of the issues. Not complaining will just mean that they think everything is peachy.

If one sees a post titled "Crashy buggy and all around hokey SW 2014" then chances are that they won't have one specific problem but a slew of issues that pushed them over the edge. Rest assured, the person posting is not in a Kumbaya singing mood. Why some are then surprised that they aren't I find peculiar.

The discussion forum is here basically so that we users can help other users or be helped by them and exchange information, pointers and ideas as well as keeping SW Corp itself informed about the issues, problems and successes with their product. There's lots that works nicely in SW but there's also lots that has lots of room for improvement. E.g.: making an SLDDRW for anything then the most basic of things can be as pleasurable as a root canal.