2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2015 10:45 AM by Glenn Schroeder

SolidWorks 2014 prints at startup

Dave Ellert

When opening an existing part or drawing file, the file prints automatically. It prints to my default printer, which  I changed  to PDF so I am not wasting paper. It only prints at start up, but prints again if a different file is opened.

I installed SolidWorks 2014 two months ago, off the DVDs. Now that school is in session, I am starting to use it. I have not updated for service packs, because I want to stay on the same version as my students for troubleshooting, etc.

This problem does not occur in our CAD labs. We are using Windows 7. I have 32 bit, all the labs are 64 bit.

Dave Ellert, P.E.

Instructor in Engineering

Coordinator, Engineering Outreach

University of Southern Indiana

8600 University Blvd.

Evansville, IN. 47712

(812) 464-1883

• Re: SolidWorks 2014 prints at startup
          Dave Ellert

Got this solution from the SW tech support team  at SolidWorks World 2015:

This is a file association error. Here are the steps:

1. Shift-right click on the SoldWorks icon on the desktop.

2. Select Run as adminstrator.

3. Select Settings/File explorer.

4.Select Restore file association.

Thanks, -Dave Ellert

• Re: SolidWorks 2014 prints at startup
            Glenn Schroeder

Dave Ellert wrote:

I have not updated for service packs, because I want to stay on the same version as my students for troubleshooting, etc.

I'm glad you got it figured out.  And by the way, installing up-to-date service packs for the same version won't cause problems with compatibility.  That only happens when you update to a newer version, such as going from SW2014 to SW2015.  I know that's true for the commercial version, and while I'm not familiar with the Student Version I would assume that the same is true for it as well.