4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2014 4:59 PM by Ben D.

rotation sensitivity

Ben D.

I have a question about the rotation sensitivity in solidworks. I made a small video (sorry for the quality):

sw rotation - YouTube

If I rotate a part in a a regular mode, it rotates about the mouse pointer, keeping the part in the screen.

However, if I rotate a part in feature editing mode, it becomes too sensitive and even a minor movement takes

all the view away from the screen. Is it a bug, wrong settings ? Is it possible to solve it?

SW is 2014

Thank you for your advices

• Re: rotation sensitivity
          Jerry Steiger

Ben,

It looks like your part has changed to transparent in the part edit mode, so you are not getting a mouse pick when you try to pick a point or edge to rotate around. You could try holding down the Shift key as you pick on the part.

I'm not sure why your part transparency is changing, because it is normally the other parts in the assembly which change to transparent when you edit a part, depending upon how you have your options set. Perhaps the part itself is defined with a level of transparency and an opaque appearance has been added to it in the assembly?

Jerry S.

Ben D.

Dear Jerry,

thank you for your reply. As you can see from the previous video, this is a weldment structural body. For the testing, I have also created a simple solid pipe, and the same is happening: when I rotate the part in the part mode, it works fine (first half of the video):

But if I enter the editor (the second part of the video) of the feature, SW no longer picks up the part. I guess, the problem is that this model is pretty big, the pipe (and the structural table from previous video) are one meter long. This being said, in edit mode SW probably can not pick the part element, so it rotates about origin (?). You can see this, because rotation in edit mode, when center of rotation is the end near the origin, works fine. On the other hand, if I rotate on the other end (second 34 and further) , which is one meter away from the origin, even the tiny movement moves the part away from the screen.

There is no transparency nor any other appearance nor material applied. Shift select makes the model zoom in/out by moving the mouse upper/lower.

Now I am pretty sure that SW does not recognize the "future" body of the part in feature editing mode, so it is not possible to rotate the model about the "future" element of the part, because it is not actually even there yet, it is to be created. Am I not wrong?

Jerry Steiger

Ben,

It took me a while to remember how the Rotate works. If you middle mouse click on a face, then hold down your middle mouse button to rotate the part or assembly, the rotation is limited to being in the plane of the face. If you click on a cylindrical or conical face or an axis or a straight edge, then the rotation is around the axis. If you click on an arc, then the rotation is around the center of the arc. If you click on a spherical face, then the rotation is around the center of the sphere. If you click on a vertex, then you rotate around that vertex. If you click on a point on a non-analytical surface, then you rotate around that point.

All of the above seem to work for me whether I am editing the assembly or a part in the assembly.

Jerry S.

1 person found this helpful
                      Ben D.

Dear Jerry,

thank you for you help. I have been away for some time, and now I am back. Now I have a computer with supported video card (GF Quadro), newest drivers, and overall much newer and faster computer. And the problem is gone I have checked SW 2012 and 2015, both are working good now. So I guess, there was an issue with computer drivers or the hardware, and not the Solidworks itself.

So it is hard to find the real problem now, but it is now solved. Thank you for your help !