1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 10:06 AM by Mark Biasotti

Is there a way to work on complex imported surfaces?

Aleksander Borczyk

I have imported a boat hull design from another software and have been struggling to change anything in its geometry so far.Features such as Move Face bring up rebuild errors, asking for different parameters even during simplest actions (translation in one axis).

I have also attempted using Freeform and Deform features, both of them failing at the task. Both of these features have been explained in solidworks online tutorials on simple shapes, which brought up my question whether are they any good on complex surfaces, where there are no right angles etc.

I was also wondering whether is there a way to import sketches from other software so that I could work my way up from there.

Additionally, are there any other features that I have not thought of that may prove useful to modelling the imported geometry? Is there a simplier way to change the outline of the sides? Maybe there is an extension that would keep the sketches during importing?

Best Regards,

Alek

• Re: Is there a way to work on complex imported surfaces?
          Mark Biasotti

Hi Aleksander,

from looking at your image, it is quite possible that the reason you can not use move face is that the primary surfaces of the hull are filleted to each other.  Here is what I'd do: first make individual copy surfaces (offset by 0) of the faces you want to work with. Then use the Untrim feature to untrim them to their original surfaces. You can then offset them and then retrim and knit them depending on what you want to do.

Mark