I have come to the conclusion that I am going to have to write a couple of Task Add-ins. I intend to use the Task Add-in Sample as my starting point but I am already having some issues. I have never programmed in Visual Basic, nor have I programmed any elements of a GUI. Mostly I have worked in C++ on a microcontroller. So I have some learning to do. Not to mention that this sample is far from clear about many details.
Currently, the code compiles without issue. I am using Visual Basic 2010 Express.
I then install the add in as a Debug Add-in. This goes fine.
Then, I right click "Tasks" and click "New Task"
I select Add-in to be "Task Test Add-in" All of the menu's change accordingly. All of the menus work fine except the "Test Add-in Page"
When I click "Test Add-in Page" I get nothing. The little dot that indicates which menu I am looking at does not move from the last menu item. The area where I should be prompted with new menu options, is just grey. The cursor stays busy, the new task window title indicates that it is not responding until the entire admin tool finally crashes completely.
Occasionally with some changes I was able to get a portion of the Task Add-in Page (the SetupPage.vb form) to show. I just compiled it with NET framework 3.5 and it showed nothing. Then I compiled it with 3.0 and got a portion of the textbox but it still crashed. I have tried to compile using NET framework 4.0, 3.5, 3.0 and 2.0.
My suspicion is that I have some setting incorrect on the design of these forms. Since this is where I am least knowledgeable, and the sample gives the fewest details, it seems to be a good place to start.
Thanks for your time, let me know if anything stands out as a potential cause.