2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 4:46 PM by Jared Conway

How to best increase performance for simulations

Dermott McHugh

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to upgrade either the RAM or hard drive (HDD to SSD), with the goal of increasing the solve times for the simulations I'm running.

Currently I'm running 8 GB of RAM on a Lenovo Thinkpad W530, with this processor:

Intel i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Watching the resource monitor, I'm not pegging out the physical memory completely, but definitely have high utilization, and at times do start getting quite a few hard faults from star.exe (even though maybe only 4-6 GB of the physical memory are "in use").

Does anyone know what hardware factors have the greatest effect on simulation solving speed? I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck here and curious what other folks have experienced when making these upgrades.

Thanks,

Dermott

• Re: How to best increase performance for simulations
          Brian Morris

RAM is used for meshing. 8GB should be plenty unless you are getting into some very complex studies. Obviously more is better but if you have to pick I think the SSD would give better computer performance overall, not just with Solidworks. The simulation solver uses the processors and hard drive so an SSD is going to speed up intermediate result calculations. 

Here is some light reading related to your question also:

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/docs/WP_Intel_SIM_Critical_Solutions_for_Engineer.pdf

• Re: How to best increase performance for simulations
            Jared Conway

have you looked at the solidworks kb? there are some great articles about performance in soldiworks simulation, which solvers use multi core...etc

but what it comes down to is this, if your analysis is optimized

RAM > add more if you are going into page file

CPU > will help to a certain point on solve time

SSD > is probably the biggest help if you are using a spinning disk today

BUT all of these are based on an optimized analysis setup and making sure that you're doing what is right to reach the goal of your analysis. for example if you have slow solve times and are trying to use solids for a part that should use shells, throwing hardware is a waste of your time. setup the analysis with the right idealization and you will speed up your simulation significantly. in our consulting business here at Hawk Ridge Systems, we solve almost every problem on a computer that is about the same level as what you have right now.