11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 3:08 PM by Mark Olsen

Import STEP With Curves

Doug Schaefer

I'm creating STEP exports out of Proe Wildfire 4.0 to send to our tooling vendor who uses Solidworks.  I've created curves in the Proe model to show texturing breaks adn checked the appropriate box to include them out of Proe:

Capture.JPG

If I re-import into Proe, my curves are there.  If I import into SW (2013), there are no curves.

How do I get SW to recognize and import the curves?

(EDIT: I've tried setting the Proe option STEP_EXPORT_FORMAT to ap203_is (default) and ap214_cd with the same results.

• Re: Import STEP With Curves
          Lenny Bucholz

you may have to save as an iges, but here is what SW can bring in via step.

Step Files (*.step)

The STEP translator supports import and export of body, face and curve colors of STEP AP214 files. The STEP AP203 standard does not have any color implementation.

Import

The STEP translator imports:
          • STEP files as SolidWorks part or assembly documents.
          • Body geometry, body, face, and curve colors, and topology information from an AP214 STEP file.
          • Wireframe geometry from STEP AP203 and AP214 files.
          • STEP configuration data. You have the option to import this data by selecting the Map configuration data check box under STEP in the Import Options dialog box

Export

• The STEP translator exports SolidWorks part or assembly documents to STEP files.
          • You can select to export individual parts or subassemblies from an assembly tree, limiting export to only those parts or subassemblies. If you select a subassembly, all of its components are automatically selected. If you select a component, its ascendants are partially selected, preserving the assembly structure.
          • SolidWorks supports exporting the unit of length of a part or assembly document to a STEP AP203 or AP214 file.
          • You can set export options in the STEP Export Options dialog box.

Contents

Doug Schaefer

By indicating it brings in "curve colors" it implies that it should bring in curves as well.  After all, why bring in the color of a curve that it won't import?

I'm curious about his line:

STEP configuration data. You have the option to import this data by selecting the Map configuration data check box under STEP in the Import Options dialog box

Where is this "Import Options dialog box"?  I've simply been going to File > Open and browsing to the STEP file.  I get no options dialog.  I don't see an "import" selection under the File menu either nor an "import" section in the system options.

I tried IGES in both Proe & SW 2013. The problem with IGES is I cannot exclude my construction surfaces and there are a lot of construction surfaces in this model that really get in the way upon import.  Plus the vendor wants STEP files.

Anyway, I get the curves again in Proe, but the import crashes Solidworks so I get nothing.

On a whim, I tried Parasolid.  No option in Proe to export curves, and I get none in Proe or SW.

Mark Olsen

I've had issues with mapping configuration data, specifically with importing ProE files.  The files would import fine, but then could not be saved.  I had to export as a parasolid and reimport a second time to be able to save the file.  I reported it to my VAR, and they verified that, yes this really happens with specific versions of ProE and SW.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the versions in question.  Anyway, if you cannot save a file imported from ProE, uncheck mapping configurations, and it may work.

Jerry Steiger

Doug,

When you open the STEP files in SW, click on Options and check "Free point/curve entities". I suspect that you will want to click on "Import as 3D curves", rather than "Import as sketch(es)", but I'm not really sure.

Rather than use curves, can you split the surfaces and change the colors in Pro/E to show the textured areas? If so, then STEP 214 should bring in the different face colors. If I was on the receiving end, that would be my preference. On the other hand, it may not work as expected.

Jerry S.

Doug Schaefer

Click options where?  In SW 2013 I click the open icon, browse to my STEP file, select it and click open.  There is no "Options" button that I see.

Proe cannot split the surface of a solid.  We are using colored surfaces to denote textured vs. polished areas and showing them on the drawing.  However, there is a bit of text on a textured surface that needs to be polished.  I was wanting to export the curves in the STEP file so that the molder knows precisely where to place the polished areas.

I could export with a trimmed surface, which I can do in Proe, however, surface exports are all or nothing and as I noted above, there are a lot of construction surfaces that would get in the way of understanding on this part.

Jamil Snead

In the Open dialog you need to select STEP as the file type, then the options button will be there.

openoptions.PNG

1 person found this helpful
                              Doug Schaefer

That was it, thanks.  Of course now I've got an enormous number of curves that I don't need along witht he ones that I do, but at least I've got them.

I wonder why they don't make the options button show up once you've selected a STEP file but before you open it? I mean, come on, that is a PTC level UI goof.  :-P

Lenny Bucholz

so in ProE you can make family of parts i.e. "CONFIGURATIONS in SW" delete all but the surfaces you need and export the file again...???

by the way SW can split any face of a solid, yeah SW, sorry just had to say but it doesn't help you.

you could make one to one drawings and save as dwg's and a good machinists can make them work to get the areas of texture onto the imported step files.

Doug Schaefer

The way this was built, creating a family table to remove the construction surfaces isn't possible.  It's made using the "master model" top down design technique, so the construction surfaces are all part of the initial import feature from the master model.  There is no way to suppress them without suppressing almost all of the rest of the model.  A simplified rep might do it, but other than this curve issue we've been doing fine simply not exporting the surfaces.

Yeah, yeah, SW can split a face.  I'm tempted to list all the stuff that Proe can do that SW can't but those debates never really prove anything. :-D Each tool has its strengths & weaknesses, I'm much more comfortable Proe's.

Lenny Bucholz

Doug Schaefer wrote:

The way this was built, creating a family table to remove the construction surfaces isn't possible.  It's made using the "master model" top down design technique, so the construction surfaces are all part of the initial import feature from the master model.  There is no way to suppress them without suppressing almost all of the rest of the model.  A simplified rep might do it, but other than this curve issue we've been doing fine simply not exporting the surfaces.

Yeah, yeah, SW can split a face.  I'm tempted to list all the stuff that Proe can do that SW can't but those debates never really prove anything. :-D Each tool has its strengths & weaknesses, I'm much more comfortable Proe's.

Not suppression, delete the surfaces as a later feature down the tree, in SW it puts a feature called deleted body that you can then suppress and unsuppress as a time dependent feature, then export as a step.

Doug Schaefer

Hmm, Proe doesn't really have an equivalent feature to the SW delete body command.  Again, in this case there are many surface bodies ("quilts" in Proe) in the import from the master model, it would take a lot of effort to remove them.

If I had my choice, I would have built this with skeleton modeling with copy geom features rather than the master model method.  The master model method brings the entire master model into each part, be it a single button or a full exterior panel.  With a skeleton, you use a "copy geometry" feature to only copy in the specific geometry that part needs.  Much cleaner and more targeted, however, that method requires an Advanced Assy license which my client does not have.