7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 7:10 AM by Dave Krum

trying to "save as copy" existing assembly with hole wizard to new name

Dave Krum

Hello All,

I'm trying to save an assembly containing two parts to a new assembly with different part names and I'm having some trouble.  I don't usually get involved with assemblies, just single parts but I'd like to learn more about assemblies where I need to adjust just a few dimensions, then hopefully be able to save them as new assemblies.

Basically, I have several two part assemblies that are all very similar with just a few dimensions changing.  I have one completely modeled (assembly is Assem1 containing parts DMK98 and DMK99).  I have both parts blank (no holes) and used hole wizard thru the assembly of the two parts to locate the holes (and propagate holes back to parts).  I wanted to try this since most of the holes go thru both parts.  Now say on the next assembly I need to adjust one of the vertical dimensions but everything else stays identical to the first assembly.  Since the hole pattern is different, the two parts now have new names.  What I did was save each part (DMK99 and DMK98) as "save as copy" to a new name and did the same for the assembly (Assem1).  But now when I open the new assembly, it still is linked to the old parts.  I am lost at this point.  I don't wanna lose the hole wizard holes which were placed in the original assembly but those holes are going thru the original parts, and I don't believe I can reference these holes and the mates to new parts.  Any advise/help would be great.  I've been reading on here about changing references, but I don't think that will change the two parts that are in the assembly.  I've attached both original parts and the assembly.  Thanks and much appreciated!

• Re: trying to "save as copy" existing assembly with hole wizard to new name
          Michael Lord

Dave,

As you have already created a new Assembly and new parts you can use the Replace Component feature to replace the parts in the Assembly.   They should insert and mate with the same references from the new part.  

2014 SolidWorks Help - Replace Components PropertyManager

I have also covered that in a post

Replace Components (with another Component!) #Solidworks | Michael Lord

Dave Krum

Michael,

Am I "saving as copy" each of the two parts to a new name, then doing the same to the assembly before anything else?  Then closing everything down and clicking once on each of the new filenames in the open dialog box and choosing "references" to change to the new filename references?  I did this and I'm getting errors when I try to go in to new assembly and edit the features since the parts appear to still be referencing the old assembly instead of the new one.  Thanks.

Michael Lord

Dave,

By Saving the Part "Save As Copy" it should break any reference and should be a "new" part.  If you just "save as" you have the same part just with a different name.

When you "Save as copy" with an Assembly you have a new Assembly but still with the existing parts.

By opening the new Assembly (the saved as copy) you can simply replace those parts with the copied parts using the Replace Components.  They should insert, mate and delete the old part from the Assembly in one process.

Which is what I did here.  I have name the Save As Copied part COPY.   I added the cut extrude to show it is not referenced to the other part.  I then re-added the original assembly to show it is not being referenced.

I'm on 2014 so I haven't attached the files

Copy.png

Dave Krum

Hi Mike,

First off, thanks alot for getting back to me.  I did try exactly what you suggested with the "replace component" option. I got it to work finally, but not as easily as you mentioned.  What I did was take each part and use "save as copy" to a new filename (there were two parts to make up the assembly).  You mentioned that when using "save as copy" all external references to the old assembly should now be broken for the new part, but in my case, when I open the new "save as copy" part and look in the references it has, its still pointing to the original assembly.  This may be something inherent of SW2010 and not SW2014 that you're on?  In any case, after using "save as copy" to both parts, as well as doing this to the assembly then going into the new assembly and choosing "replace component", I got everything to work but had to mess with the parts for a while at the open dialog box reference option to remap to the new assembly (change from old one).

I was testing out a different procedure but not sure how stable this is.  Basically, all I did was open the original assembly (didn't do anything to the original parts as far as making new "save as copy" ones) and from there choose "save as" from menu bar then click off the "save as copy" option in the dialog box, give it a new name, then click on the "references" box.  In there, I double clicked on the two parts referenced and made new names with the .sldprt extension to overwrite the existing part names from the original assembly.  Then choose save all and this seems to have worked. If I check the external references for both of the parts and the assembly they all seem correct.

Michael Lord

Dave,

I see why the reference isn't broken when you Save as Copy.  I wasn't paying attention!   I see you have applied the the Holes in the Assembly.  So the sketch of those holes (derived sketch) is still referencing the other part.   You can manually break the reference of the sketch in the "Copy" parts. Right Button Mouse on the Sketch>List External Ref>Break All

List Ex.png

Break All.png

I must admit that I don't use the "Reference" ability on Open but what you did by renaming would mean that it is pointing to that part and therefore open that part.  I'm a little supprised you didn't get a pop up dialogue box which said something like "The Internal ID of the component is different from the selected part do you want to use it instead"  But if it works then it can't be bad!

Glenn Schroeder

Dave,

Instead of "Save as", I'd recommend using Pack and Go for what you're doing.  That will create a new assembly, with new parts referencing it, and you can re-name them as part of the Pack and Go process to avoid any possibility of changes in the new assembly affecting the old parts.