6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 10:36 PM by Jared Conway

best way to simulaite bolt connection

Oshri Nitzan

Hi,

I am
      trying to see if I am doing right when I trying simulate connection between a
      body a and a bonnet with bolt and nut

I apply
      a pressure of 125 bar inside the bonnet in order to check the bonnet stress and
      displacement

The
      other fixture I put is to hold the body from 2 side fixed

But
      I worry a little bit, because I see a deformation where the bolt head sit. And as
      I understand there not supposed to be deformation where the bolt head touch the
      bonnet

So,
      what are the right fixtures I  supposed to
      put in order to simulate bolt connection

Thanks,

Oshri

• Re: best way to simulaite bolt connection
          Shaun Densberger

The "best" way to simulate a bolt depends on the goals of the analysis; what are the goals of the analysis? What do you need to simulate? I emphasize need because you rarely need to simulate the exact nature of a bolt.

"I worry a little bit, because I see a deformation where the bolt head sit. And as

I understand there not supposed to be deformation where the bolt head touch the

bonnet"

Can you explain this a little further? What do you mean by, "deformation where the bolt head sits?" In a real world bolt connect, the material around the bot head can move; in a SW Simulation idealized bolt head, this is not the case because the software is using rigid links to connect the meshed geometry to the beam element representing the bolt.

Oshri Nitzan

Thanks shaun for your answer

Well I trying to simulate what happened to a bonnet, (a part of a water valve ) with a pressure of 125 bar inside it

The bonnet connect to a diaphragm anda body.

my goal is not what happened to the bolt . my goal is to see what happened to the bonnet.

If you think there is a better way to make the connection between the bonnet the diaphragm and the body
              I will be happy to hear

Thanks

Oshri

Jared Conway

run the analysis on the bonnet only with it restrained where it is bolted and connects to the other parts. that is the only other option.

but i'm still not sure i understand what displacement you are talking about. could you point it out in your document?

Oshri Nitzan

Thanks
                      jered

1. I didn’t know if I have to put bolt connection , or there is other way to connect
                      between the body the diaphragm and the bonnet only with fixture and which type
                      of fixture?

I put here a link form YouTube movie from inovia system that show the best way to
                      simulate bolt connection with 2-3 fixture could you please can take a look at that movie and to tell me if
                      the this is the right way?  Advanced Fixtures in SolidWorks Simulation - YouTube

2. when I put bolt connection in my study, is the bolt simulate all the fixture that
                      a bolt connection should simulate like no displacement in the  z direction  (the plane where the head of the bolt sit should
                      not move up as I understand)

Thanks jerad

Oshri

J. Mather

I am not sure I understand your question (can you attach the assembly here), but I'm thinking you might not need the fastener included in the analysis, but rather, Split the face where the fastener face would come in contact and add a Fixed constraint to that split area.