10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 1:41 PM by Philippe Thompson

How to increment Revision only if version of files change?

Philippe Thompson

Hi y'all !

I'm fairly new to administering EPDM (first vault setup) and I'm wondering if it's possible to increment a revision of a file ONLY if the version of that file changed.

I've got the transition action to 'Set Variable' then 'Inc. Revision before my "Approved" State, but i can't find a way to create a condition that will only change the revision of the parts that had a version change.

What's frustrating it's that I'm pretty sure this is std stuff, but i can't wrap my head around this !

Thanks in advance !

• Re: How to increment Revision only if version of files change?
          Tim Webb

Hi Philippe,

Take a look here:

2013 SolidWorks Enterprise PDM Help - Incrementing Revisions

These are the options for incrementing the revision.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com

Philippe Thompson

Thanks for the reply Tim,

yep, for now we are incrementing them manually for our standard part. But it isn't automatic. let me explain what I'm looking for...

We have a simple workflow with 3 state

WorkFlow.PNG

once the parts and assemblies in the project moves from "En Approbation" to "Approuvee", they all automatically increment to revision "A". And that's OK for the first iteration of that project, as i want that the shop floor can only see parts with revision (to be able to import them for our laser and bending program).

Then after cutting, bending and welding the project, we might have some ECO for just a few parts for the next production run. When the engineer receives the ECO, he takes the project and uses the transition "Demande de Rev" which puts the parts and assembly back to the state "Conception". He then makes the change to some parts, not all, and after re-submit the project to approval.

Now here's my problem.. if i let the system increment the revision, it will change all the parts and assemblies to revision "B". That's a problem for me, has it will give the impression for the shop to redo all laser and bending programs! so for now we have to increment manually the revision and target only the part where the version change.

So, if i can see which part changed version compare to those who didn't, i was wondering if it's possible to create a condition where the revision increment only if the parts version did indeed change (not just go thru the approval process).

hope i was more clear

Jeremy Feist

the simplest solution I see would be to not send the entire project through the editing state. just send the parts you are intending to change. then you DO want the automating rev increase, because those files are changed.

Philippe Thompson

Yes, but that would imply that the engineer who decide to create an ECO and initiate the transition, knows EXACTLY which part should be changed. Sometimes it isn't really clear to evaluate the impact a change implies throughout a project. But you're right, for now i have two solution:

1- the engineer puts the entire project back to review, and then the technician manually increment the revision of the parts he changed.

2- The engineer selects only the parts who needs change and then go thru the automatic revision scheme.

That's why I'm looking for option 3: only automatically revision the parts which the version change...

Tim Webb

Philippe, I could be wrong but it is possible your EPDM is facing a process challenge. I think there is more than one issue here.

Nobody is at fault here but this does highlight the power of EPDM relying on people, processes, and data. There seems to be an opportunity to modify the process a little and retrain the people a little to make a good fit.

1. Your engineers need the flexibility to transition certain files out of the "Approuvee" state to work on without being able to know ahead of time which files will actually get changed.
                          2. If the design changes do not work out ok, your engineers need the flexibility to transition some of them back to the "Approuvee" state without modifying the REV or incrementing the internal EPDM REV.
                          3. But if the design changes are completed and all the CAD data gets updated, then and only then should the laser cutting and bending shop stop work BUT the system needs to alert the shops about steps to take.
                          4. The laser cutting and bending shop needs an "official" trigger to tell them to "stop work" besides assuming they should stop based on an impression since the files are are in the "Conception" workflow state. CAD data gets changed or modified as needed but officially the laser cutting and bending shop should only stop work on their existing orders if and when they receive the alert to stop work. Maybe an email notification or a dashboard could alert them to this.

Let me know if this sounds right.

Tim CEPA

Philippe Thompson

Tim Webb wrote:

Nobody is at fault here but this does highlight the power of EPDM relying on people, processes, and data. There seems to be an opportunity to modify the process a little and retrain the people a little to make a good fit.

You're right with EPDM limits being the human factor, but I was trying to avoid changing the day -to-day work of 15+ people. I guess my last hope will be a custom API.

thanks for the insight !

Brian McEwen

I think another problem with this idea is that versions are created very easily during state change transitions. It is possible to change state without creating a version, if I remember correctly.  But all my transitions create a new version (which is not a big deal).   For example I add an "Unreleased" watermark when a file moves out of the Approved state.

So even the parts that did not change in SolidWorks are likely to show up as new versions, if you move them out of Approuvee.  Even if they don't get versioned now, there may be things you want to do automatically in the future.

Philippe Thompson wrote:

Yes, but that would imply that the engineer who decide to create an ECO and initiate the transition, knows EXACTLY which part should be changed. Sometimes it isn't really clear to evaluate the impact a change implies throughout a project. 

This is a good point and a problem that is hard to avoid.  They can play with the model before changing state.  But they can't do any real work. Rollback is one solution if they end up canceling changes to a part.

I like your very simple workflow, that is a good way to start.

Philippe Thompson

Brian McEwen wrote:

So even the parts that did not change in SolidWorks are likely to show up as new versions, if you move them out of Approuvee.  Even if they don't get versioned now, there may be things you want to do automatically in the future.

Yeah, that's why I'm trying my best to make it work with our way of working as it is right now, and what we are looking forward in 2-3 years from now. Not an easy task. I think my last resort will be a cutom API that will be triggered by a task. Will be discussing this with my VAR this week

Brian McEwen wrote:

I like your very simple workflow, that is a good way to start.

Thanks! At first we started building something waaay too complex that was based on our "custom unit" workflow (which is another approach). This simple workflow is for all that is considered "standard unit".

Brian McEwen

Another option is to have 2 transitions between En Approbation and Approuvee.

One stamps the next revision and the other stamps the current revision (or checks the data card and stamps any specified revision - like a Legacy workflow). Requires some attention to use correctly.

But most use the system where the engineer selects only the parts that need changes - at the beginning of the change process.

Tim Webb

Glad to help.

There is a setting in the group permissions that you can disable so the system will not automatically grab all referenced files through the transition out of the released state when you have an ECO. This helps but doesn't always fix the entire issue. The other part is training.

See if this fixes the problem your users. Then you will need to train the CAD users to make sure they have only selected the files needed for revision during the transition.

group settings.bmp

Tim CEPA