7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 1:57 PM by Jeff Hamilton

Has anyone ever seen solidworks fail to resolve a part, even if it's open in memory?

Jeff Hamilton

We actually have a two fold issue. First, when the assembly coming from the vault is opened (PDMWorks) it goes looking for the parts in another directory where it was the last time it was checked in. After finally opening the assembly, some parts are suppressed like Solidworks can't find them, even though they are in the same folder as the assembly. Even if we first open up the suppressed part before the assembly and keep it open in memory, it will not resolve within the assembly. This shouldn't be happening.

• Re: Has anyone ever seen solidworks fail to resolve a part, even if it's open in memory?
          Jeff Hamilton

I have just seen this again on another machine. All the parts are kept in the same folder as the assembly, yet when opened the assembly went to an entirely different folder getting an earlier revision level of one of the parts. This happened even with the correct part opened in memory. Renaming the old part corrected it, but it should not be able to happen.

• Re: Has anyone ever seen solidworks fail to resolve a part, even if it's open in memory?
              Jeff Mirisola

Are you receiving any error messages (Can't find..., A part with the same name..., etc) when you open the assembly?

Also, going off of your second comment, do you have multiple copies of the same part saved? Where you're using PDM, there is no need to save old revisions of a part as PDM does that for you automatically.

Going off of your two posts, I would say your biggest issue is your workflow/processes and not using PDMWorks properly.

Jeff Hamilton

In most cases, there are multiple versions of the same part because one person is just using it for reference and another actually has it out for a pending revision, I have seen it  draw parts from a different location, even a different computer, even though the parts and assembly had been checked out at the same time and into the same folder from the vault. Also, it has always been my understanding that when you open an assembly, Solidworks should first look for the part files within the same folder as the assembly before looking in other locations. In these cases that isn't happening. Also, if the correct part file is currently open in memory the assembly still doesn't use it. That shouldn't be possible.

Jeff Mirisola

Regardless of why a person needs the part, there is no need for multiple copies.

User A checks out the part and takes ownership of it to make changes. User B can still check out the same part, but with a 'read only' status attached to it. Assuming you have. User B should receive a notification when user A checks the changed part back into the vault that there is a newer version and do they want to open it.

Next, it sounds like your search paths may not be correct. You might want to check on that.

Lastly, I still think you guys are doing something wrong when you save assemblies and check them into the vault. Are the multiple iterations of the same part derived from the same original part? Where the vault won't allow for duplicate part names to be checked in, are you amending part names?

Jeff Hamilton

One person does have the file as read only, and the other has write privileges. Yet when the assembly is opened it was wanting to go to the read only version which was actually in another file on another computer. The one with write privileges was still in process of making the change and hadn't checked it into the vault yet. I checked the search paths and couldn't find anything. So I uninstalled Solidworks and did a fresh reinstall. Hopefully that may help things.

What is even stranger is that the assembly wouldn't accept the correct part even when it was open in memory first. If it couldn't bring in the wrong part it would usually suppress it and wouldn't allow it to be resolved. (Note: on my machine I did not see the issue, so there is something obviously different, but I don't know what.)

We have been using Solidworks the same way for years with no issues. All of a sudden I have two cases on different machines within a week.

Jeff Hamilton

One user (A) has checked out the assembly from the vault as read only for reference in another assembly.

User (B) checked it out later with write access in order to make a change in one of the components and change the assembly mates.

After user (B) was in process of revising the component he opened up the assembly. Note: All parts were checked out into the same network folder as the assembly. The assembly opened from his file failed to bring up the correct component, but instead went to user (A)’s folder.

After opening up the correct parts first in memory, the assembly was opened again by user (B). This time the correct parts and sub-assembly (which were already open) were suppressed and could not be resolved.

I tried this myself on his machine with the same results. However when I tried to duplicate it on my machine it worked fine.

I uninstalled Solidworks and did a fresh reinstall. Hopefully that will help. He is out today.

I had a similar issue today on another machine. In that case there were two different versions of a part supplied from an outside source. The assembly refused to open up the part that was in the same folder it was and had previously been opened in memory. Instead, it went to an older folder to find a previous revision of the part. I renamed the old part forcing it to accept the correct one.