6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 4:56 PM by Jamil Snead

Display State/Configurations Help

Matt S.

Hi,

I can use some help with either display states or configurations. I've never used them before and not sure which I use here/how.  Essentially what I have is a box which to simplify it can have 4 components.  In state 1 it will have components 1 and 2 as shown.  In state 2 - component 1 is removed, component 2 slides up into its place, and component 3/4 are added in on the right side.  Can someone give me a quick rundown on how I go about this?

Thanks

Disp or Config.png

• Re: Display State/Configurations Help
          Mark Kaiser

I'm a configurations guy.  Probably has something to do with display states being added to the program long after configurations, and I've never really understood the use of display states.

With configurations, items 3 and 4 would be supressed in state 1, while item 1 would be supressed in state 2.  You would use different assembly mates to position the components in each state.

Matt S.

Edit 2:

If I just place a component without mating it and then I put it in one place in (1), go to (2), and put it elsewhere and then go back to (1) will it move or stay in the same spot?  Do I need to fully constrain it in (1) for the component to remain there only in (1) and then I have to go to (2) and fully constrain it there?

After making multiple configurations if I want to add a new part to the assembly does it automatically add it to all configurations and then I have to mate/hide/suppress as needed?

Jamil Snead

I think if you do not fully constrain the parts then when you switch configurations it will stay in the most recent position. So you'll need to fully constrain it, then switch configurations, suppress the constraints that no longer apply, then add new constraints to get it to the new location. Then it's always a good idea to go back to the first configuration and make sure the constraints you added in the second one are suppressed. If not and you have an over-defined error you will need to suppress the problematic mates in the first config.

Whether or not new parts, features, or mates get added to all configurations depends on the settings you have set in the configuration properties (right click on the configuration and choose Properties).

configoptions.PNG

If you have "Suppress new features and mates" checked, then if you add a mate to another configuration it will be suppressed by default in this configuration. Same thing for assembly features. Otherwise features and mates added in another configuration will be unsuppressed in this config.

If you have "Hide new components" checked then new parts added to another config will be unsuppressed but hidden in this config, otherwise they'll be unsuppressed and visible.

If you have "Suppress new components" checked then new parts added to another config will be suppressed in this config, otherwise they'll be unsuppressed.

With all of those settings, once the new feature/mate/component has been added you can always switch to a configuration and manually suppress/unsuppress or show/hide as desired.

Daniel Andersson

I would say:

Use Display State to show different states during assembly or to ease to view on drawings

Use Configurations to show different steps in manufacturing or if you have multiple assemblies (read different BOMs) in the assembly that are quite similar. Myself is not to found of using Configurations in order to make different BOM configurantios and drawings of a product. I usually vote to do one assembly for each BOM. But that just me... with the background with our running PDM system (TeamCenter).