4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 7:25 PM by Don Hillhouse

WHERE IS THE STRESS DATA FILE LOCATIONS IN SIMULATION DIRECTED?

Don Hillhouse

Hello all,

I'm having some trouble running simulations all of a sudden. I think what is going on is I'm having some network sharing issues. We previously owned a license of simulation that was a dedicated seat. It was ok since there was really only one user at the time. Now we have installed the software and license on a laptop that is sharing network resources so we can access network files. The simulations seem to run fine to the point that it gets done running and then I get a window that pops up and says no data available. I also get a sharing violation telling me I'm having trouble accessing the network location.

What occurs then is puzzling me. It seems some of the data disappears. Like for an example I may have a displacement plot but no stress or strain plots. One of the errors said I should change the data location. Does anyone know how to do this. where is the stress data's default location and how do you change it. I know you can tell it where to send the report, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking to change the location where this data is temporarily stored. Maybe we can't and shouldn't be trying to access the network wirelessly from the laptop, at this point I'm not sure. Please help.

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks for your time and cooperation.

Regards

• Re: WHERE IS THE STRESS DATA FILE LOCATIONS IN SIMULATION DIRECTED?
          Jerry Steiger

Don,

I'm not that familiar with SolidWorks Simulation, but I would think that it is a very bad idea to be working over a network and an extremely bad idea to be doing it wirelessly. I think you would be much better off to do all of the work locally, copy the whole study onto the network and then delete the local copy.

I also wouldn't be running Simulation on a laptop. Even the most powerful laptop is pretty wimpy when compared to what you can get for the same or less money in a desktop. If your simulations are fairly easy, then it won't be a problem, but it will be slower.

Jerry S.

Don Hillhouse

Jerry,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Yes I knew it wasn't a good idea to run off the network. It's just been a while since I used simulation so I couldn't remember off hand where the files get stored. It took me a minute to remember it's in the study properties and then you can direct the files to be stored locally. The network was indeed killing my response time. Thanks again for your reply.

1 person found this helpful
              Jared Conway

definitely would recommend not running simulation from the network

it sounds like you went to the laptop so that people could take it to their desk and run simulation, rather than buying a laptop and another license of solidworks it probably would have been cheaper to go to a network license of sim so anyone could use it from their desk

can you elaborate on the exact error message that suggests changing the data location? i haven't seen anything like that before. but RMB on the study and you will see where the results are for the model.

as for the missing plots, that could be based on the way the simulation options are setup. if stress and strain are removed, they won't be created by default. if they are disappearing, that is another issue.

Don Hillhouse

Jared,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Yes I knew it wasn't a good idea to run off the network. It's just been a while since I used simulation so I couldn't remember off hand where the files get stored. It took me a minute to remember it's in the study properties and then you can direct the files to be stored locally. The network was indeed killing my response time. Thanks again for your reply.

1 person found this helpful