1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 20, 2014 10:17 PM by Jared Conway

How to simulate flows in a pin-mill? Is it possible?

Philippe Mueller

Dear all,

I am trying to simulate the air flow and particles trajectories in a pin-mill and understand how the pins interactions affect those 2.

Here is what I got for 2 rows of pins:

Pin-Mill_Planface_lignes_1krpm.png

To me, this doesn't reflect the rotating/fixed pins effects on the flow and on the particles as I would expect some drastic flow lines direction changes especially when moving pins pass close to fixed pins.

So, is it actually possible to simulate such things with SW Flow Simulation? = simulate effects due to interactions between moving and fixed parts (stator) which are NOT axis symmetrical .

The model (attached) is like this:

- a fixed part with a big hole in the middle (stator) and pins equally distributed at the periphery (left part on the picture below)

- a rotating part (rotor) with pins equally distributed and passing at 1 mm beside the fixed ones (right part), rotation is set here at 1'000 rpm CCW

- all declared as real walls

- a rotating region englobing the entire rotor (thus also englobing the fixed pins but declared as stator)

- input and output lids to play with flow parameters

Pin-Mill_Model_region_rotation.pngPin-Mill_Model.png

An additional question: When declaring walls (real in my case), when to use moving walls instead of the general rotating region? What is the difference? Should I use this? (I did try though .. without success)

Thanks for your feedbacks, BR