5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2015 1:37 PM by James Bach

IGES Assembly Import Doesn't Show Design

James Bach

Ever since upgrading to SW2014, whenever I import an IGES assembly, it performs the import, but, never shows me the design.  The "Window" menu is greyed-out . . . no windows to display.  Yet, if I close SW I get a dialog asking me if I want to save my parts; answering Yes causes my design folder to magically grow SW parts and assemblies.  So, the import worked, but, I have to close SW and re-open it in order to save then view what was imported.  Why?  How can I make it show me my imported model as soon as it loads it?

• Re: IGES Assembly Import Doesn't Show Design
          Oliver Smith

Hello James,

Is this with every IGES files you import? Or just assemblies?

It would be interesting to see if its replicable - could you post a zip file of an assembly you're struggling with? If not, you could always create a basic assembly out of blocks and save that out as an IGES file to test that?

Cheers,

Olly

James Bach

I'm pretty sure that I only see the issue with "assemblies" . . . I just opened several IGES "parts" and they opened fine . . . I just opened an IGES "assembly" (that I had exported) and it did it again . . . pop-up dialogs showing the progress of importing all of the sub-pieces, but, when done, a blank window and NO "Window" menu item at all. Yet, when I attempt to close the seemingly-empty SolidWorks, I get a dialog asking me if I want to save the open documents.  WHAT open documents?!?!  It doesn't seem to matter where the IGES assembly came from . . . neither ones that I created nor someone sent me will open-and-display . . . but, the contents ARE there . . . hiding?  Perhaps someone on the SolidWorks software team is a Romulan and has engaged the "Cloaking Device"?  :-)

Lenny Bucholz

When you up graded did you do a new install or a true upgrade from the old version?

you may have to uninstall, clean the registry and re install 2014, by the way what service pack?